Okay, Duck ratio......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momma's chickens, Jul 8, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have four ducks and I am sure that I have one rouen drake and one rouen hen. I am also sure that my pekin is a hen and my cayuga is a drake.

Is that okay, will they pair off or will the drakes beat up the hens? Do I need to get rid of one drake, put the pairs in seperate pens or what? I think it is two late to find more hens or I am not sure what the solution here should be.

2. crys

crys Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    I know that answer! (I had the same thing) The dominate drake with claim all females. Pen each drake with each duck (this way u know parents and have the back-up drake as well). Twinkie is 1st drake, Hostess is 2nd and JR. can only view from a distance. I do have them in a 1/4 acre "play yard" and Twinkie is on constant "she is mine and only mine alert! 24/7" (4 ducks, 3 drakes total)

3. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC, crys! [​IMG]

So you are saying I should separate the four ducks into two pens with male and female in each pen. That means I need two wading pools, feed bins and everything. Is this correct!

4. crys

crys Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    Only if u want 2 know who the parents r 4 sure, then yes. Or u can sell 1 drake and leave the remaining 3 together, ur ducks could end up sharing a nest down the road. If only it was easier I know.

5. crys

crys Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    Thanks for the welcome:D Of course Twinkie thinks the female African geese r his as well. My hubby is very proud of Twinkie and his "I can do" attitude! I on the other hand have a heart attack whenever the geese run away from Twinkie towards the fence. They could get caught up and injured so I have since bought out 1 local store of its case of (folding chair) ribbon (have no idea what it is really called) and have been weaving it into the fence. I hope this will stop the girls from going head first into trouble. So far its working. Helps with the other 2 drakes as well, Hostess had 2 be rescued when he got caught up in the fence (cut the fence out around him) after Twinkie caught him trying to mate. Trust me yelling at them 2 STOP does not work well.

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I can just imagine the ducks not listening to you yelling at them! LOL

7. crys

crys Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    momma's chickens :

I can just imagine the ducks not listening to you yelling at them! LOL

U and my neighbors! They think I have lost my ever loving mind many times over![​IMG]
    Very glad they where not home the day my African goslings started 2 hatch! Stupid fire ants where attacking the eggs and it took me about 30 mins. 2 get adults out of the pen (I actually used a kite held over my head and a stick)
    I was beat red yelling at 3 adult geese 2 get away from the babies and let me in there!!!! I can help them! U cant! [​IMG]
    I won, dont know how I did not die of heat stroke out there in 100+ degree heat, bent in half in the coop and grabbing necks and bodies of those 3! [​IMG] I think I lost about 10lbs.[​IMG]

8. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    That is a funny story, glad you were able to rescue the poor baby!

I am still not sure if I want to separate the ducks or not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by