1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Okay, Duck ratio......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momma's chickens, Jul 8, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have four ducks and I am sure that I have one rouen drake and one rouen hen. I am also sure that my pekin is a hen and my cayuga is a drake.

Is that okay, will they pair off or will the drakes beat up the hens? Do I need to get rid of one drake, put the pairs in seperate pens or what? I think it is two late to find more hens or I am not sure what the solution here should be.

2. crys

crys In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    I know that answer! (I had the same thing) The dominate drake with claim all females. Pen each drake with each duck (this way u know parents and have the back-up drake as well). Twinkie is 1st drake, Hostess is 2nd and JR. can only view from a distance. I do have them in a 1/4 acre "play yard" and Twinkie is on constant "she is mine and only mine alert! 24/7" (4 ducks, 3 drakes total)

3. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC, crys! [​IMG]

So you are saying I should separate the four ducks into two pens with male and female in each pen. That means I need two wading pools, feed bins and everything. Is this correct!

4. crys

crys In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    Only if u want 2 know who the parents r 4 sure, then yes. Or u can sell 1 drake and leave the remaining 3 together, ur ducks could end up sharing a nest down the road. If only it was easier I know.

5. crys

crys In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    Thanks for the welcome:D Of course Twinkie thinks the female African geese r his as well. My hubby is very proud of Twinkie and his "I can do" attitude! I on the other hand have a heart attack whenever the geese run away from Twinkie towards the fence. They could get caught up and injured so I have since bought out 1 local store of its case of (folding chair) ribbon (have no idea what it is really called) and have been weaving it into the fence. I hope this will stop the girls from going head first into trouble. So far its working. Helps with the other 2 drakes as well, Hostess had 2 be rescued when he got caught up in the fence (cut the fence out around him) after Twinkie caught him trying to mate. Trust me yelling at them 2 STOP does not work well.

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I can just imagine the ducks not listening to you yelling at them! LOL

7. crys

crys In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Alice
    momma's chickens :

I can just imagine the ducks not listening to you yelling at them! LOL

U and my neighbors! They think I have lost my ever loving mind many times over![​IMG]
    Very glad they where not home the day my African goslings started 2 hatch! Stupid fire ants where attacking the eggs and it took me about 30 mins. 2 get adults out of the pen (I actually used a kite held over my head and a stick)
    I was beat red yelling at 3 adult geese 2 get away from the babies and let me in there!!!! I can help them! U cant! [​IMG]
    I won, dont know how I did not die of heat stroke out there in 100+ degree heat, bent in half in the coop and grabbing necks and bodies of those 3! [​IMG] I think I lost about 10lbs.[​IMG]

8. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    That is a funny story, glad you were able to rescue the poor baby!

I am still not sure if I want to separate the ducks or not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: