Okay eggsperts...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mangled, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, now I know I have fully lost what is left of my mind, but...

I had a guinea hen come out of the woods a few weeks ago, and she has adopted my flock. She is usually way out and about, but today, I was working on the run and noticed she spent a whole lot of time in and out of the coop.

When I put them up for the night, I grabbed the last 7 eggs and was wondering if this one could be a guinea egg:
    The first pic is huge. Sorry about that. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is in comparison to the small egg I get from my EE and the big brown eggs I get from my BR:
    [​IMG]

I get speckled eggs frequently, this was just seems different. Can you eat guinea eggs? [​IMG]
    Thanks-
    Em

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    You can eat Guinea eggs but they don't look like that I think they are small and more pointy then the chicken eggs and white. may be you have a new pullet laying?

Good Luck I just got my first egg yesterday and I can't wait till I am trying to tell them apart.

Edited to say (sorry I put chicken where Guiniea was supposed to be LOL) and I fixed it
    Henry

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    As far as i know any eggs that are laid are good to eat. Some have a different flavor than hen eggs.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Dont look like a guinea egg to me. I eat me guinea eggs, they have a much harder shell the chicken eggs...........ed

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes thats a guin egg.an yes you can eat them if you want.

6. auburnoutlook

auburnoutlook New Egg

Apr 3, 2008
    Venice, CA
    what eggs cat you eat?

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If that is a barred rock egg, then the center one is not a guinea egg. Guinea eggs are about the size of a bantam egg, and like 92caddy said they will be extremely hard too, and pointy

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You can eat any sort of egg.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I tried to eat a alligator egg once, now I have a stump where my arm used to be, and you thought your broodie hen had attitude. [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:I tried to eat a alligator egg once, now I have a stump where my arm used to be, and you thought your broodie hen had attitude. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by