Okay for the others to eat medicated chick feed??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PamB, Dec 23, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm planning on allowing my broody to raise her own chicks out in the coop with the flock. I plan to keep a close eye on things and separate them only if there is a problem. I would like to feed the chicks medicated chick starter. The rest of my flock eats grower feed, with oyster shell offered. I can put the grower feed up a little higher so that the chicks can't eat that. So, I'm not as concerned about chicks eating the grower feed. However, what if the other chickens eat the medicated starter? Will it harm them in any way?

2. PupuMcgoo

PupuMcgoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Deep South
    I reckon it aint gonna hurt none. migt want to build yurself a little wire box wit welded wire big nough to let them lil ones in to eat, say round 2ft by 2ft by 2ft with 4 inch spacin on that there wire. top but no bottom is what I would do. Them stanly ringers work good on stuff like building with wire. then them litle buggers can run in ther an eat all they want an you wont have to worry youself. Yall can save som money on that feed bill too I reckon. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by