Okay genetic people I have a freak for you! What is going on!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Celtic Hill, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So last year my neighbor's hatched this boy from their flock, his father Is BR/Austro and then his mother is a Hatchery EE.
    Now, there are no other roosters in the area and I have hatched chicks from the same flock and not had this result. He always looks like this, like he got caught in a rain storm. So what is going on!? [​IMG]

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    He is very gamebird looking with his upright posture - are you sure that's his heritage? He also appears to be rumpless, which I think is a recessive trait.... very, very weird looking bird from that mix of hatchery stock.

Try the "breeds & genetics" section to get more of the people in the know with that - they don't necessarily frequent this forum.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    dose he not have tail feathers? Do you know what breeds made up the ee hen?? no clue why he looks wet

4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I swore I put it in the breeds and genetic's forum. Oh well, this new format has me all confused haha!

Yes I am sure that what he is, There are no other birds near here accept mine, but mine are all kept in pens.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What other breeds do you have? Might you have mismarked an egg? Does the EE have a tail? Since he is barred, he MUST have gotten the gene from his mother, or have had a spontaneous mutation. I really do not know why he appears wet. How do his feathers feel? Overactive preen gland? Tons of oil in his diet? (but then you should see it in a lot of your birds, not just him)

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    He favors my rumpless araucana boys only skinny,

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I am positive of his parents, he was raised by the flock so I can't get close enough to handle him. The mother does have a tail, the father is Barred, so that is where the barring comes from. He is a free range diet with supplemented layer pellets.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    As far as I know the rumpless gene isn't recessive, but apparently in this case it is. That is kinda weird. His EE mother must have some rumpless Araucana in her. If his father was barred then it would make sense for him to be barred if his mother was the golden duckwing-type color that seems to be very common in hatchery EEs. He also has a pea comb, which makes sense. But, yeah, the rumpless thing is really confusing me. He does look a lot like a Shamo or Aseel or Malay since he's so tall, but if you're sure about what he is, that is kinda weird, but definitely not impossible since he's from hatchery parents. You really never know what hatchery birds are "made" from.
    I have a 10 week old chick whose mother is a golden duckwing Easter Egger hen (she lays pink/brown eggs) and father is a Buff Brahma. The chick is light Brahma (Columbian) colored, and I have absolutely no idea what happened. It somehow got the silver gene, but both of the parents have gold! It has a little beard, feathered feet, and a pea comb, so there's no way it's anything else, but mixed breed chickens are just weird and unpredictable.

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    rumpless araucana mutt [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by