Okay goat breeders, more questions. :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frozen Feathers, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I placed an add in the local advertiser, just tonight ( because the other person was to far away [​IMG] ) and I got a response. This is description of her buck:
    I have a mini buck with great milk lines, he is a mini LaMancha, 50% Nigerian (Morning Star BH Ramsey Blue X Illneva's Jaro Ginger, Oak knoll dairy line w/ 6*M).He is a blue eyed red a white buck. . Lamancha...how cute. [​IMG]

So does anyone know these lines? What's the 6*M? She is charging $35 fee, which seems reasonable since he's a cross, but also sounds nice. I wouldn't mind a cross as we are not showing and doing this purely for milk and fun.
    I guess my only concern would really be having a kid to big for her. Do you think the kids would have one Lamancha ear and one Nigerian...LOL??

She is going to send me pictures. [​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Sounds nice. Surely would throw a good milker. As far as buck size, I'd just find out how tall he is. I wouldn't suggest breeding to a buck more than 2" taller than your does.

Those lines don't ding a bell, but I'm just getting 'into' Mini Nigi lines. I'm mostly familiar with Southeastern lines.

Bonus is you'll have about a 25-50% chance of blue eyes on your kids!

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My doe's brother and sire are both blue eyed. [​IMG] This is Mary's brother.
    [​IMG]

Cutest thing, JacK is. Kept jumping out of my fence...never in my life have I seen a goat jump that high...and now he lives with Wendy (mario2girls) in NH. I went to visit him last weekend, what a handsome boy he's turned out to be.

I will definitely check on the height of the buck.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Angie, I too am interested in getting some goats for the milk and for fun for my kiddos and to add to our growing farm. What else can you do with goat milk besides drink it? I've heard of making soap out of it anymore suggestions. If I do my research right and find many ways to use the goats that would be a big selling point to my husband. [​IMG]

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I too am interested in getting some goats for the milk and for fun for my kiddos and to add to our growing farm. What else can you do with goat milk besides drink it? I've heard of making soap out of it anymore suggestions. If I do my research right and find many ways to use the goats that would be a big selling point to my husband.

You can make all kinds of cheese and yogurt. You can make ice cream and butter. Anything you do with cows milk you can do with goats milk. I can't find any of the web site addresses right now but if you do a Google search you will be surprised at all the info. you find.​

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks, I'll go look now, if I can tear myself away from byc for a while. [​IMG]

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well with goat milk you can make cheese and soap or just drink it...I have seen some nice soap made from goats milk. and some like the cheese...it just depends on the goats as to what the cheese tastes like. Toggenburg goats have a sharper taste to them...Nigis and Alpines have sweeter milk as far as I am concerned. I have Nigis and Alpines and unregistered pygmys. the $35 stud fee isnt bad at all considering you dont have to feed him long and if he is to your liking then go for it. Dont reall know the breeding. I dont show mine either but they are all good girls. If you decide to breed her and have milk make sure you give her lots of alfafa hay or alfafa pellets and then she will make more milk for you and you will have less problems. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by