Okay got what I think is a better incubator... Questions on humidity.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I bought this incubator, it has a thermometer which also ready humidity, a thermostat, and well you will be able to see everything in the photo's... But what I was reading is humidity should be 55%-65%, well my humidity in it goes to 56% then down to 52%. Could be bad readings on the thermometer. Also... Thermostat is set between 99 F and 101.8 F is that too big of a variation? Do I need to keep tweaking????
    Also I put a second regular non-digital thermometer in there to see how much the temp varies from the digital one. Haven't checked it yet, just put it in.

Pic shows low temp cuz I had it open for too long and it cooled a bit while I was putting mesh down..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I think you are pretty right on with the incubator. To increase humidity you can put a cup of water in there or a sponge [​IMG] Temp sounds fine to me.

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well if you see the big black thing thats a tub that is half filled with water, and then the silly thermostat is acting funny so I am tweaking it up a tad so when it turns off it won't cool down so much, last time it cooled down to 93 F o_O when I had it open that is... Then it turned on.. So I am hoping a couple minutes at a slightly higher temp won't do any damage. It's a water heater thermostat... So it's not as... Touchy as it should be..

4. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Can I just ask , how much does it cost to build an incubator like that?

Chris

5. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well, I didn't build it I bought it :p
    But I would guess around 40-50 bucks.

6. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    I was just wondering because the still air hovabators are only 47.99 at the local feed store. but maybe that will be better it does have a fan.[​IMG]

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Nah bought it $30

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:If you replace the water heater thermo, with a 20 dollar wafer type, sold on ebay. This would be a very serviceable bator. I have tried the water heater ones many times, with many positions and modifications. All eventually disappointed at the worst possible time. Good Luck how ever you go. Bill

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:If you replace the water heater thermo, with a 20 dollar wafer type, sold on ebay. This would be a very serviceable bator. I have tried the water heater ones many times, with many positions and modifications. All eventually disappointed at the worst possible time. Good Luck how ever you go. Bill

Well I might have to wait on that one because I just spent 30 bucks on this bator, and my old man would kill me if I went and bought a new therm for it right off the bat. But once he dinks with it and realizes it's inferior he might allow it.

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I'm sorry if I came across negative,(I reread my post...) It may work fine, I was detailing my experience.You can test it with a water wiggle if your familiar... or I use a polder type cooking thermometer stunk inside a pop bottle full of water. Just make all adjustments small and allow several hrs for the adjustments effect to warm or cool the bottle of water. If you can keep the water in the bottle 98 to 101 ish, you will be able to hatch eggs... Good luck. Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by