Okay hatchaholics-talk me into it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Henrietta23, May 8, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    The fifth grade teacher in the school where I work was going to hatch this spring but is now finding she doesn't really have the energy. She told me that if I want to do it I can set up the bator in her room and go for it. We could just do a half dozen eggs or so. My 6th grade special ed student has never experienced this before. It's the same bator I used to hatch my 3 roos back in Feb. We'd have to get started soon. Our last day of school in June 20 so we can still pull it off. Do I really want to do this? I don't have to keep any of the chicks if I don't want to, we have lots of families that have chickens...

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, you want to do this...I've helped with classroom hatches and its amazing to see the looks on kids faces and tell them what they are seeing inside the eggs....

3. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd go for it [​IMG]! I teach too...I've got 8th graders and I teach Language Arts, and I know my inclusion (special ed -- MH) would LOVE to see them hatch!! We just hatched for the first time with an incubator...it was amazing! Every kiddo should have the opportunity [​IMG]!!! It would be something they'd never forget--and what a great way to end the school year [​IMG]!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Kristin you have to do it! You know I will give you the eggs and if you don't want the chicks I'll take them too, so no problem about getting eggs or getting rid of chicks. I'd say go for and spread the love of chickens to others [​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Okay okay I'll tell her tomorrow I'll do it! Sophia, what have you got and when can I get 'em?

6. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Okay okay I'll tell her tomorrow I'll do it! Sophia, what have you got and when can I get 'em?

I have silver laced polish, buff laced polish, buff orpington, dominique, and ameracana(EE), that would all be mixed with a silver laced polish roo. So there will probably we some pure chicks because I have SLP hens. I have to ship Barnyard 15 eggs this week, and another shipment so probably by the end of next week depending on how many you want.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT

I have silver laced polish, buff laced polish, buff orpington, dominique, and ameracana(EE), that would all be mixed with a silver laced polish roo. So there will probably we some pure chicks because I have SLP hens. I have to ship Barnyard 15 eggs this week, and another shipment so probably by the end of next week depending on how many you want.

Sounds cool! I'll talk to the teacher tomorrow. We were thinking half a dozen since we're not 100% sure of where they'll go once hatched. We know they'll go somewhere but I'm not sure who's she's talked to and I am rapidly filling up my unfinished coop with growing chicks and stray dominiques!!

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    BE CAREFUL, IT IS ADDICTIVE.[​IMG] But what the children and you get out of it it well worth it. Being the grumpy old man [​IMG] I am, I only place six bators in schools now. In one of the local high schools, they raise chickens. This school is near a local park and once the people find out they are there, they drive by just to watch the chickens.[​IMG] These kids that take care of these chickens love it. For most of them this school is their last chance, for they have been in so much trouble in the regular school. Back to the point, GO FOR IT.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!! My kids have loved doing our hatches and handling our projects this year. One of Whitey's little ducks hatched with a foot and leg issue and is wearng little cardboard footies and braces to try and make it work. The entire SPED dept. has been through to see Whitey's baby and it's special disability. I can't tellyou what it's meant to them to know there are "special" babies of all kinds. My 6th graders have grown so much, the high school kids in the shop class helping us with roosts, and coops and such have really changed their outlook on a lot of things. There is no way it is not a learning experience and not just educationaly but LIFE lessons.
    Ok,, off the soapbox,,, it's worth it.
    Kate

PS: Hershey the Runner momma has babies in Dallas now in a school there. My AP took his daughter some eggs for their first ever hatch at that school!

PPS: Get a classroom "Charlie" like I had to come talk to the kids.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:I have silver laced polish, buff laced polish, buff orpington, dominique, and ameracana(EE), that would all be mixed with a silver laced polish roo. So there will probably we some pure chicks because I have SLP hens. I have to ship Barnyard 15 eggs this week, and another shipment so probably by the end of next week depending on how many you want.

Sounds cool! I'll talk to the teacher tomorrow. We were thinking half a dozen since we're not 100% sure of where they'll go once hatched. We know they'll go somewhere but I'm not sure who's she's talked to and I am rapidly filling up my unfinished coop with growing chicks and stray dominiques!!

Well I can always take them back once they hatch, so no problem there either [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by