Okay-headed into lockdown-best way to do this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Jul 29, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Alright, so using DRY HATCH method, my humidity stayed about 57% the whole time. TODAY I see that it is about 52%. TODAY is lockdown day, lol, and the humidity DROPS?? Lovely.....I still have smaller than normal air cells, and chicks are kickin when I candled. Some of the time, I had them end on end in my lg in an egg carton, and would turn them from end to end, but saw someone say that was a no no. Now they are on their sides, but for lockdown, with small air cells, should I put them in an egg carton air cell up? what should I do with the humidity levels? Raise it up mor like normal, or leave it alone?
    Thanks ya'll. These eggs are ours, but we are incubating for a friend as a thankyou for all the stuff he does to my car.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The air cells might be smaller than they need to be because you ran the humidity so high for the first 18 days. Dry hatch normally has the day 1-18 humidity 35-40%, then raising it for lock down to 60-70%. Humidity isn't an exact though, variables such as where you live come into play, and you have to test and play with it until you come up with what works for you. When raising the humidity use warm water so you don't drop the temp in your bator.

When incubating most set their eggs pointy end down, be it in an egg carton or auto turner. They can be laid on their sides for lockdown, you do not have to keep them in a carton.

This is how I incubate and hatch all eggs from quail to duck to chickens with the exception of peafowl, they lay on their sides the entire time.

[​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch.

Shellie

3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I bought a digital hygrometer this morning. It reads the temp at 97, and the humidity at 44. Should I add a vent plug back in or leave it alone? This is crazy, lol. Never had this trouble before.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THe unit may need to be calibrated. I have read one web site that talks about REDUCING the temperature during lockdown, then increase the humidity. Since the humidity doesn't need to be exact, unlike temperature, you may not need to calibrate the new device.
    Good luck!

5. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    After being gone all day, the humidity is now 36% and the temp reads 100. I think I am going to just leave it alone for a night, and then increase humidity slowly, I think lockdown is officially 9 pm for us, and I'm debating candling, and then placing pointed end down in cartons so they won't drown.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You have some time to bring up the humidity, like when the first pip appears the humidity needs to be jacked up. I am only repeating other more experienced people here.

GOOD LUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by