okay here is our coop/run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    here is the run, we left the excess wood on top so we could either make it taller or put a roof, but we decided for now, chicken wire as a roofing would be fine I believe it is about a 9x9 or something lik that, and it's 5 ft in height

[​IMG]

coop is a work shed that we gutted out for the most part and left a few shelves. we added a large tree limb as the roost, but plan to get 2x4s to replace it, because it seems to be too slick for them. we have the 5 week old chicks in an encloser on the right side of the pictures (the back wall of the shed) and it is about 4 feet tall and 2 feet deep running the length the the entire wall. they will be in there for a few weeks until they are old enough to be with the bigger girls

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the shed is 11x16 so we have lots of room for more chickens!! we use straw as bedding, not crazy about it but i'll have to look into other options. we also have a sandbox for them to dust bath indoors if they so feel like it. also we dusted everything with DE to keep bugs in check. we hang the food and waterer from nails in the rafters. our nest boxes will be closed in soon, for more privacy, but they use what they have just fine right now.
    the coop and run are connected with the 'bridge' (think hamster cage tubing, is what comes to mind when I look at it) and they just jump off the end that is about 15 inches off the ground in the run. we used as much as we could of the junk we had on hand, to try and repurpose some things that would have been thrown out.
    to me it's a chicken mansion because of the size and we are really excited to see the little ones grow into it.

2. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a awesome coop/run you ever gonna make a fenced barnyard ?

3. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    lol nah, but we do plan to put an electric fence up around the backyard, hoping our dog will stay back there and possibly let the chickens free range a little bit, but that is a while off from now

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Looks good.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice!

Almost every picture of a brooder/run/coop has a family dog or cat standing at attention [​IMG] I see yours there in the background. Hope he/she becomes a good chicken guardian.

6. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:so do I, she is at the point where she doesn't pay as much attention to them as she used to. but we shall see

7. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    [​IMG] very nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by