Okay, here's *this* newby's coop and run...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by E-Chick, May 7, 2009.

1. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    We live on 8 acres in Southern California. We are in the beginning stages of building our home - plans are at the County for approval as we speak. Bought the property alone, as the home on it went into foreclosure, was vacant for nearly a year, and burnt down in the Witch Creek Wildfire of October, 2007. We have cleared a lot of brush and trees from around the perimeter, and are taking big steps toward fireproofing 100' around where our home will be built.

As you can see, there are tons of weeds and goodies for the girls to forage. We plan on building a portable coop this weekend to let them take advantage of the property. But, with so many predators out here - coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, hawks, vultures, and so on, we cannot take the chance of letting them completely roam free. Not to mention our 2 German Shorthaired Pointers that are dying to get there chompers on our girls. If any of you can give me any advice on getting the dogs accustomed to the chickens, feel free to let me know. So far, we've brought the dogs to the run a few times per day to sniff around and see what the new commotion is all about. As soon as one of them barks or gets too focused on the chickens, we reprimand them. I've been saying "NO! Chickens" to the dogs as their back off command with them. One dog is good...the other is trouble!

This is a pic of the back of our coop as we were still building it. It is situated in an east/west postion on our property. Our home will be built up where the water tanks are up the hill. We purchased a 6'x8' wooden shed kit from Lowe's for the coop. It has 2 doors on the other side. There are 4 small vent openings around the base of the coop and 2 large wire covered windows near the top. The run was put together from some fencing materials that we had laying around. Took 2 weekends of shopping and building to do.

[​IMG]

This is some of our first girls checking out their new digs. We used wooden tree stakes (that had partially burnt) for the perches. For the ladder, we used fallen tree branches. The girls love it! We are going to put in a nice sliding door for them. But, for now, it's a sheet of wood that is screwed in. It pivots to open and close loosely at the moment.

[​IMG]

This is my hubby with our rooster. Named the roo "Barry". As soon as we let Barry in with the girls...he did his duty with several of them. I had Barry White's song in my head, "Let's get it on"...LOL!

[​IMG]

These are our nesting boxes. Hubby drilled some holes into the top to for extra ventilation. Now, if we can only get the hens to use the boxes more often instead of the floor! (It doesn't show in the pics, but we have 2 large cut-outs just below the roof line for cross ventilation.)

[​IMG]

This is the run. We have 13 hens and 1 roo. We are putting up a roof on 1/2 of the run this weekend. In the meantime, I put up a few tree branches temporarily for shading in the lower left corner (we put more on top of the run just after taking this pic), as it is hot here today. Hard to see, but in the lower right corner of the run, I put up a plain branch as a perch. They've used it and just beneath it, they wallow in the dirt.

[​IMG]

So far, so good. They seem to be happy...laying eggs and roosting comfortably.

2. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Forgot to add, that any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

3. noobiechickenlady

noobiechickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Love it! I wish I had that much room. I'm praying for a farm I can afford to come on the market real soon!

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it - great design, great coop! When can I move in? What are you going to put up for a roof over the run? I am trying to figure out my options for roofing in the run.
    [​IMG]

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    If you can sell the place you're in you'll FIND a place in the country, noobiechickenlady!

E-Chick, it must be nice to keep your birds where it's dry---love the coop and that's a great idea to cut ventilation holes.

Where's....um.....YOUR house?!

6. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Here is a pic of our 8 acre property (outlined in red). We butt up to County open space and a section of the Cleveland National Forest in Ramona, California.

We are about 40 northeast of San Diego.

The house burnt down before we could purchase. Bought it anyway. Luckily, one of the out buildings (a 1000 sq ft workshop) did not burn down. We are temporarily living in that, as well as having a trailer on the property until we build this year. The workshop (still standing) is just below where we will build our home (which is outlined in blue).

The coop and run are in the upper left of the pic (green box).

There is a large egg ranch just northwest of us - the really big white box. I think it is called the Old Julian Egg ranch or farm or something to that end.

[​IMG]

7. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    And, thanks for the compliments! It was hard work!

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful property - I'm jealous!!![​IMG]

9. E-Chick

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Quote:I think we are using either metal or plastic corrugated roofing. We'll leave half covered and half open. Also plan on planting something around to give more shelter. It can get VERY windy around here and I want to give some good protection against the wind, rain, and sun. Summers get to 110+ around here. Winters see occasional freezing night temps.

10. noobiechickenlady

noobiechickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    But its not mine! Waaaah! [​IMG]

Hehe, time will come and I will be like e-chick and so many others I am jealous of, and have my own property with plenty of room for animals and kids to run & play. I want goats & more chickens, maybe a cow or two. [​IMG]

Beautiful stretch of property e-chick. May your new homeplace prosper! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by