Okay, how about cherries?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by David Stratton, Aug 10, 2010.

1. David Stratton

David Stratton New Egg

Mar 23, 2010
    Great Falls, MT
    We have a pie cherry tree that produces a LOT of cherries. I picked some off the ground and gave them to the girls. I figured they would do like the Robins and pick off the flesh from the pits. I saw at least one of them toss down the whole thing. Mind you these are not giant sweet cherries but the smaller tart pie variety, maybe 5/8" in diameter. Relatively speaking the pits seem like they might be a bit much for a chicken since I seriously doubt they will be digested and will probably have to pass the digestive system whole. What do you think do they get cherries or not. By the way, I am not about to pit cherries for the chickens. David

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    How big are the pits? I would only worry that they might wind up with a bunch in their crop and then they would get impacted.

3. hessjero

hessjero New Egg

Jan 15, 2010
    my girls eat cherries whole, just the size you describe, every year and haven't had any trouble

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have a black cherry tree in the corner of my chicken yard--the cherries, with pits, are the size of a good-sized pea. When they get ripe the chickens stand under there and wait for the fruit to fall so they can scarf it down whole--been there for 25 year and, thus far, haven't lost a chicken to cherry pitted impacted crop.

5. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    I fed mine cherries from our pie cherry tree and they just passed the pits. They loved them. Oh a word of advice...(DO NOT feed cherries to your chickens in sandals after getting a pedicure with cherry red polish) well unless you are very good at doing a jig tryiong to keep your toes safe. My DH laughed so hard at me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by