Okay, how important is...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by A roo or two, Feb 22, 2014.

1. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    weight loss during incubation? My eggs were set 14 days ago. I weighed them when I set them, weighed them on day 7 and weighed them today. Some of them seem to be right on track with 13% weight loss, some are really close to being at the full expected amount and some are a bit behind?

Now if I do 11% instead of 13% (which I read it was 11-13% somewhere) for the ones that are behind then they are doing pretty good but still a little more off than I would like. I have a circulated air incubator and my humidity has been between 27 and 35% since initial set. We are in a high humidity state so my higher days are as a result of our outside humidity (which has been in the 90s to 100 in February [​IMG]). I thought maybe placement of the eggs in the bator but they are not all eggs that are side beside and are scattered all throughout. My air cells all looked good and are increasing at what I think is a good rate compared to pics on line.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I would guess you'll know soon enough by the results. According to information on ratite hatching weight loss is very important. I've always used a broody hen so I wouldn't know about doing it using an artificial brooder etc, but your results should be very educational. Best of luck with that.

3. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks. I am hoping since math results in odd gram amounts using decimal points that maybe, just maybe these babies were "rounded up" on the scale. You know anything greater than 5 behind the decimal point rounding up. If that's the case it puts them all that much closer to being fairly close to where they should be. Hopefully that makes sense lol.

I guess in about 5 days I will know.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by