Okay how to put this................

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a pretty delicate subject but................ ummmmmmmmm............. wellllllllllllllllllll..............

Okay let me bring this out directly......................... Koda brought down a Hawk that was buzzing the chickens. [​IMG]

The top half of it's head is missing but from the bottom half of it's beak and it's wickedly sharp talons I could tell that it was a raptor of some sort. I looked it up in our bird ID book and found that it was a inmature Coopers Hawk.

I know that it's illegal to shoot or bother a hawk but what can a person do if their LGD brings one down while protecting their flock?

Now I know why the chickens were sqwacking and Koda and Blackie were barking like crazy about just a few minutes after I put the chickens up (I was back at the house by that time).

I just discovered it when I was coming back from feeding the dogs and chickens. It's pretty Graphic which is why I didn't post a picture.

All that I can tell you is that I'm pretty freaked out about this and am hoping that I will not get in trouble.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Get the burn barrel going and toss it in. I dont think it would be Illegal if an animal gets one, BUT, why risk having to prove whether you did it or the dog did.

Natures version of SSS

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I would call it 'An act of God', bury it, give Koda a treat for doing a great job and never mention it again... [​IMG]

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG]

5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i'm assuming koda is a dog... if i were in your situation i'd bury it and keep quiet, kinda like the rural three s's- shoot, shovel and shut up. besides, it was your dogs fault so they can't really blame you, i'm kind of amazed that anything managed to take a hawk down w/o a gun

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The first thing I would have done is put it out of it's misery. That would have ended his suffering & kept it from feeding on your flock. Now, since the world knows about it, call the authorities for a solution.That is the safest thing to do. [​IMG]

7. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the only treat I can give Koda is the last of her Christmas present and she still is chewing on the one that I gave her Christmas Day!! A Milkbone shaped like a Candy Cane and it lasts her about 1 to 2 weeks tops. I usually buy her regular dog treats but this was a special for Christmas.

But I can give her some well deserved loving. [​IMG]

Koda is my 8 almost 9 month old Great Pryenees female whom I just bought back in September for only $45.00 dollars to protect my chickens. She's been doing terrific with the chickens and she's only been with them for the 3 1/2 months!!! [​IMG]

And the hawk was already dead. The top half of it's head was missing.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Just bury the hawk & change your name![​IMG]

9. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Just bury it and put something heavy on it so the dogs won't dig it up. You didn't kill it and I wouldn't worry about it.

Can't spell ...[​IMG]

10. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I wouldn't be posting about doing something like that.

From the BYC rules:

2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by