1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay, howzabout we help each other out... *UPDATED* See last post!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazy4daisy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    I want to start this thread, well, simply because I'm desperate. [​IMG]

I know there are LOTS of us out there waiting impatiently for our pullets to lay their first egg, and let's face it, it's really not very easy having to wait those last couple of weeks for your wonderful egg to pop out.

So, on this topic, I say we share some things like:
    How to pass the time waiting for eggs. (ex. - knitting)
    Stories about your first egg.
    How not to miss your first egg. (ex. - look behind EVERYTHING)
    Tell us when you get your first egg, and show pics if you want to, tell us the story, etc.

Any other ideas on what to post on here would be grealty appreciated, and I'll and it to my list as we go along. [​IMG]

I'll start -
    Category - How to pass time.
    Idea - GARDENING!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Ahhh....yeah, making yogurt [​IMG] everyone else is doing it [​IMG]

3. Shirl

Shirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    El Dorado Springs Mo
    I would also like to know the age mine are 15 weeks old and i'm ready for eggs too
    I pass the time right here lurking lol [​IMG]

4. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Lol, I've had to wait longer than you - mine are 20 weeks and I'm expecting that egg anytime!

Lol, lurky, making yogurt!? [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine are only 11 weeks!! [​IMG] I've got more than a few weeks to go [​IMG]

I spend my time gardening, quilting, kayaking and backpacking.

I'm leaving for a 1 day quilting trip followed by a 2 day backpacking trip to the NC & SC mts starting on Thursday. Hubby has the job of feed & watering the chickens.

The only hard job for him is remembering the key to let himself in the coop. Yeah I keep it locked. I have a few psycho neighbors

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you guys put golf balls in the nesting box?

Makes them think there's another egg in there and it's a good place to lay!

Sandra

7. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Yup, I've got fake eggs in 6 of the 12 nesting boxes.

8. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    That made me laugh Lurky, only because I read your "ambitious" post on the homemade yogurt thread this morning! [​IMG]

I remember when my girls first started laying. They would use the boxes pretty well. After a while the egg production slacked off and I searched high and low in their coop and run. Nothing.

I talked to my husband about it the next day and he was home and went out there. He called me laughing and then left the eggs for me to see... they had been using a crack right between a wall and a hay bale, there were over a dozen eggs... I obviously didn't look back there!!!

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my first egg yesterday! Was very surprised as the oldest are just now 18 weeks, but it was so so lovely to find! [​IMG]

It was on the floor of the coop, by the way, so always be sure to give the floor a good looking-over in the morning! I use the deep litter method and have been keeping an eye out since they love to scratch around in it and dig little places to sit during the day. I use a small rake to level everything out and to sift for treasures! [​IMG]

I'm still waiting for the regularity to start in, of course. To keep myself busy I've been working on their coop and run, and designing the coop for my bantams (currently on the tenth revision [​IMG]). I've also been busy with some bee swarms and now have a big one settling into a hive -a new obsession!!

Can't wait to hear about everyone's first egg!

10. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Mine will be 20 weeks old on Friday...no eggs.[​IMG]
    I have golf balls in the nests. I made it quiet and private, I scour the inside and outside everyday...ok, like 3 times a day. Nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by