Okay, I admit it. I'm crazy. I'm gonna try to hatch refrigerated eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tgperg, Jun 2, 2011.

1. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    My rooster and my favorite hen died this month. I had grabbed some of her eggs out of the fridge to stick in a broody nest to tempt one of my hens, but she decided sitting on eggs was for losers. I threw the eggs back in the fridge to use for emergency chick food, and I accidentally grabbed some this morning to make for breakfast. THERE WERE DEVELOPING EMBRYOS INSIDE! You know what this means. Yes, this means I have to try to hatch some of Charlotte's eggs. I've seen that it can work, sometimes, maybe. I'm going to give it a shot at least. Can't hurt, right? Any advice or just hatch like normal?

Traci

2. MarkMatt

MarkMatt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    If the embryos were already developing and then place in the refrigerator for a few days then the chances of the embryo still being alive are next to impossible. I have had success hatching refrigerated eggs that were refrigerated fresh and had not started developing.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I agree with the above poster. If they started to develop and then were put back in the fridge they probably aren't viable. But you can always try.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You've got nothing to lose so try it and see what happens.

Unless they were shipped to me all of my hatching eggs are refrigerated. But I do that before they are incubated so I have no idea if yours will have survived or not, but what have you got to lose?

5. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I meant that most of them were never incubated first, but refrigerated right away. Those are the eggs I'm going to try to hatch.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A.T. Hagan :

You've got nothing to lose so try it and see what happens.

Unless they were shipped to me all of my hatching eggs are refrigerated. But I do that before they are incubated so I have no idea if yours will have survived or not, but what have you got to lose?

I agree...

There is another thread where a BYC member put refrigerated eggs into her incubator. I don't remember how many hatched but some did. This was quite awhile back. I will try to find the thread. Good luck and have fun!!!​

7. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Okay, in that case you should probably have some hatch. There is a thread about store bought fertile eggs that were refigerated that have hatched (it is a BIG thread, so many people have hatched them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by