OKay, I am starting to have my doubts - anyone wanna guess the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AZChickenQueen, Sep 16, 2012.

1. AZChickenQueen

AZChickenQueen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Well, I posted on this subject a week or so ago and said that I thought I had an ee cockerel and an ee pullet...we are now at just 6 weeks old and I am beginning to have my doubts as to the male, who has some very non-ee traits. A couple of folks from my first post thought they might be Welsummers, but looking at the pics I can find I don't think so. Anyone out there wannna hazard a guess as to what this little guy might be? (I'm pretty sure the pullet's an ee...)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, can't say what he IS from the pics, but I can say he ISN'T an easter egger.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. AZChickenQueen

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks!! [​IMG] I have spent a lot of time cruising BYC and Google looking at different breeds at different ages - and am still at a loss. He is a hatchery chick from a local feed store (the 20-year old that works there told me he was "an Araucana" so going back an asking them is useless). Guess time will tell me what "Mystery Chick" is! He seems to be getting more white on him as his "big boy" feathers come in...this should be interesting and I'll keep y'all posted!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    He seems to be getting some barring...possibly a black sex link roo?

5. AZChickenQueen

Sep 6, 2012
    Hmmm...I had thought about that as a possibility but he doesn't seem to have the same definition between black/white that many of the pics have...but it's hard because he 's so young and the feathers are still coming in. Thanks so much for weighing in and I'll keep everyone posted as he grows! ;) He does have a very outgoing personality - flies right up on the perch to look you in the eye and today he flew up on TOP of the XL dog kennel I 'm using as a temporary "coop" for them, looked at me and flew back down; he is a funny little fellow!

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Silver penciled rock?

7. AZChickenQueen

Sep 6, 2012
    Wow, that's a breed I hadn't even heard of until you brought it to my attention - man, I hope that's what I have, because they sure are pretty and I do love my 2 Barred Rock hens, "Gladys" and "Gail". They are very even-tempered but firm - are number 1 and 2 in the pecking order - and personality plus! Always come up to "greet" us when we approach and Gladys will FLY up to grab the treat out of your hand if you aren't fast enough in doling in out! [​IMG] So I would assume Silver Pencil Rocks would have that same out-going type of personality, which little "George" certainly does, so far! (Yes, we are doing a "Duggar" thing with our chickens - all "G" names - so this pair of chicks, being a boy and girl, are "George" and "Gracie") - oh Lord, I am not that old, am I?[​IMG] I have just always wanted to go out to the coop at dusk and go, "Say goodnight, Gracie!" LOL!

8. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    i think almost all types of plymouth rocks have the same personalities

9. AZChickenQueen

Sep 6, 2012
    Yeah - I am so happy that I got them! Growing up we had Rhode Islands, Araucanas (before they were apparently "fashionable" and "hard to breed") and whatever mutts they produced - to say they were "free-range" is putting it mildly. We had a winery/vineyard in the Napa Valley and inherited some chickens/ducks (and got some "on purpose" Araucanas) later. Oh, and geese - man, they ARE mean - watch out for those wing feathers - they'll cut ya! NONE of their wings were clipped, and they used to roost in these big ole cedar trees we had and then eggs would drop on the tourists visiting the winery at the MOST inopportune times. [​IMG]

So, being in AZ, Iwas looking for good egg-layer/heat-tolerant breeds, thought about what we had growing up (it does get hot in the summer in Calistoga), discovered that Rhode Islands are easy to come by and Araucanas have apparently turned into this "rare breed" so got some R.I.s, some Easter Eggers 'cuz who cares- they're heat-tolerant and lay pretty colored eggs and I saw that Barred Rocks were a) pretty and b) hardy to different climes and c) good layers. I am sooo happy I decided on the Barred Rocks! Honestly, they are our favorites. So I am hoping my little man is some variant!

10. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by