Okay. I changed my mind, what do you think of this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tedelaney, Apr 7, 2009.

1. tedelaney

tedelaney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Hubster had to explain that the shed I posted about earlier is too big to transport (but thanks to those who replied all the same), as the biggest trailer we have available is only 8 feet... so I got in touch with a guy here who builds custom coops and here is one he offers:

The 8' barn hen house includes 6 nests with 3 sliding doors to gather your eggs, a double roost on the other side, front and back sliding doors, roof vent and lifting roof for easy cleaning. This size should be be good for up to 15+ large chickens. 48"Wx8'Lx4'H $500.00
    It is electrically wired, but has no floor. We have a concrete slab to put it on.

[​IMG]

(I asked, it doesn't include the goat...) [​IMG]

Does this seem like a pretty good bargain? (Hubster and I couldn't build something if we tried, so I really need to go with already-made.)

Thanks for your time!!

(PS, I am getting it for bantys)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    that would be perfect.[​IMG]

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It looks very nice. The only problem I see is that if you calculate square feet (8x4 = 32) and assume each chicken needs 4 sq ft of coop space, then it would really only hold 8 adult standards. If that's ok with you then I say go for it!

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    It's beautiful!

5. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Where????WHERE?? Where can I get one of those??????[​IMG]

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm jealous!!!!

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Is there a good way to clean it? I mean like a nice big door in the back for easy accsess. Otherwise its awesome.

8. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:I was thinking the same. My coop is 4 x 7 for my 8 hens.

That looks like a good deal to me if I were in another income bracket. This makes me think I should start building and selling coops.

There are two things I like better about my coop. The slide-out bottom and the modular nest boxes. Cleaning is a snap!

Links below.

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thats $500!!! where are you? maybe I am reading wrong lol but if it is $500 and you want banties you are getting a good deal [​IMG]

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    That is beautiful and for the price of wood and labor - you have a great deal. But I also would look at what the adult human access is to the inside - raking out the floor could be a xxxxx - umm chore, if you don't have good access.

Love it - think about the goat though - I think you need a goat!

As far as space, as long as they have good nesting space and access to the out of doors all day everyday, then I would not worry about space, but if you are going to have to keep 15+ hens in that one space all day on "bad" days, then it is probably too small. We have a small coop but with plenty of roosting space and they are closed in all night but as the sun comes up they then have access to the entire yard.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by