Okay, I found a place to buy a goat....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss_thenorth, Apr 24, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    They sell Nubians for dairy goats. I have to get her bred myself. Is $100 a reasonable price? the breeder will teach me how to milk.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Heck yeah. You can expect to pay $300+ for a good doe typically.

3. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Greyfields, ---what do I look for in a good doe? I'm new to the goat thing. Excited, but new.

ETA, I am going to a livestock sale w/ sil to compare prices. Will probably go to look at this goat next week sometime.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Provided everything looks good - that's a great deal. Good luck!

Be careful at an auction. You don't have ample time there to check for healthy goats, and often people make purchases emotionally and get home with remorse.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For a pure nubian that is a fair price. If the goat in question is not full blooded nubian I wouldn't pay $100 for it. If it is a cross what is it crossed with? Look at the sire and dam if they are on site. Crosses that are not bred sell for $50 - $75 (if with kid) around here.

You should also ask a lot of questions. How old is the goat? If over 1 years -Has she ever been bred? Did she live kid? How has she been handled? If she is over a year why has she not been bred?

Then there is the most important part. Has she ever been milked? Get him to put her up on the milking stand and see how she reacts. If she kicks and fights when her udders are touched walk away. It is not worth it to fight a goat to be milked.

If he has goats and she is of age get him to breed her for you or get an agreement that when she comes into heat you can have the services of a buck if he has one that you like. Goats that are not bred usually don't sell as well around here. Most people want a bred doe so they get their milk and a kid.

I would only consider buying a doe that isn't milking if she is in her first year and is just reaching mature size to breed.

Ask alot of questions. You really don't want to come home with a goat that refuses to be milked. With her needing to be bred it will nearly 6 - 8 months before you could milk her for your use counting breeding time (if it takes the first time or not), gestation, etc. so you will need to handle her daily. Rub her, massage the udders, handle the teats otherwise you will have a buck wild doe that you will have to hobble and fight to milk.

I wouldn't buy anything from the livestock auctions. I find that often they are trying to unload animals they don't want or have something wrong with them. It is sad to see what comes up at some of those auctions. Don't buy with your emotions.

Good luck and keep us updated with what you decide to do. Remember we love photos! [​IMG]

6. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
  7. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Thanks for your responses! From what I gather, she is a purebred, young, and the breeder toldme I would need to get another-unrelated male from another farm to breed her. I;m not worried about a stud. I know several people who have male boer goats.

If I buy her, wait until she is in cycle to get her bred, but handle her daily until she kids--should she be ok to milk after that.? Or is ti better to buy one that is already milking--(although finding a dairy goat in this area was hard enough).

As far as the livestock sale, from what I gather, it is just a sale--not an auction. and i am not big on buying from these places.(Never have--I am definitely NOt impulsive to the point of procrastinating; to verify if I really do in fact,want something) ) I enjoy spending time with my sil, and she wants company to go to the sale.

We are not completely set up for the goat yet anyways. Hubby is still working on the fence--should be complete by the end of next week. although our barn reno is not complete yet, it should be able to hold a goat for the time being--although it is not the way I want it yet. I am making an appt to go see this lady with the goats next week sometime.

Is there any thing else i should know? and thanks again for all your help--i feel more confident buying now!

8. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    good luck and post pics!!!!
    -nj

9. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Make sure you get a shot/worming record from the original owners. Also find out what type of feed they use and use that and slowly switch to a feed of your choice (goat belly's are sensitive to change).

We jumped into goats for the first time in january, and those were things i should have asked for and did not. I lucked out and everyone turned out to me mostly healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by