Okay, I give..... how do you use dye to mark chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nutz4critters, May 2, 2008.

1. nutz4critters

nutz4critters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    NW Alabama
    I asked on another post, but didn't get help. Leg bands and the mostly useless (apparently, anyway) rubber band things, yes. Dying your chicks, no.

Not planning to sell the colored chicks, just need info on how you used food dye to successfully color chicks to separate blood lines, chicks from two sources, etc.

Ideas??????? [​IMG]

TIA! Have a great weekend, [​IMG]
    Nutz

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't know a lot about this, but on another thread they mentioned that a hatchery marked chicks with a marker pen. THis seems like it would be pretty easy and quick compared to dying the whole chick.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try using colored velcro strips that you find in the sewing notions sections in stores..Thats what I use to keep track of my hatches from different people as they grow out...I just cut mine length ways to fit their leg and as they grow out adjust or put on a bigger one...

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I prefer to toe punch myself.

5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    As far as figuring out which hens are laying, one breeder told me that she puts a little food coloring by the vent of each hen so that she can easily determine which hen laid which egg.

I know that on puppies, they put a dab of fingernail polish on the hair to differentiate between them. Perhaps the same strategy could be used on the toe of a chick.

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You could also paint their nails.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Gee, that sounds kinda uncomfortable and anyhow wouldn't it probably be of more use in identification if you toe-punched the *chicks*

ROTFL

Sorry, couldn't resist [​IMG]

Pat

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL.

Toe punch would be life long identification though.

I usually just use a marker and color their heads or legs if I need to identify them for the short term.

9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Gee, that sounds kinda uncomfortable and anyhow wouldn't it probably be of more use in identification if you toe-punched the *chicks*

ROTFL

Sorry, couldn't resist [​IMG]

Pat

LOL, yep!

10. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I've used indelible magic marker in strategic places on the chicks when I want to ID them. It lasts for a while. If you do, I wouldn't use red or pink tho! Marker OR nail polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by