Okay, I Give!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melvalyn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. melvalyn

melvalyn New Egg

May 27, 2009
    My name is Melva and chickens have been something I have thought about, and read about...etc and so on... I am going to start collecting supplies to build a coop....I found someone who says he will attempt to make me one. I discovered a man who lives not far away and he has the breeds that I have wanted:
    Mlle Fleur
    Cochins
    Speckled Sussex
    and
    Buff Brahma

he also has Seramas....I want Banty chickens not sure if I want the tiny ones.
    I had originally thought of having 3 hens...now I am thinking of as many as 8....next week, will I be up to 12?

I have a friend who says she has some 2 by 6's I can have...that is a start! I have an area that was made to be an enclosure for a turtle we no longer have...think a coop could be built in the same area,
    using the walls of the enclosure.

I spoke to a City Employee and he said unless someone complains re the chickens making noise, no one will bother me about them...so I need quiet (relatively) are the breeds I mentioned going to be calm and docile chickens?? Any advice is welcomed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Welcome from Colorado. Yes, everything about chickens is addictive.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Love the breeds that you're thinking about. We don't have any of those, but we do have 2 Seramas & they're one of my favorite breeds. Very quiet & easy to handle. The only other bantam breed we have are Silkies & they're wonderful, too.

4. melvalyn

melvalyn New Egg

May 27, 2009
    I just bought some plans for a coop...it has a materials list and everything...supposed to be large enough for 12 of the small chickens
    So you really like the Seramas? I must admit, pictures of them are lovely...

5. melvalyn

melvalyn New Egg

May 27, 2009
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!! [​IMG]

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] As long as you have hens and no roosters noise should be no problem. That's a good looking coop.

9. melvalyn

melvalyn New Egg

May 27, 2009
    no plans to have a rooster...which is too bad some of them are so pretty!

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Hesperia,Ca [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by