1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay, I know I have lost my mind. I sang to my chickens today.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dizzychicken, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dizzychicken

dizzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I was out at the coops today and talking to the chickens (yall don't do that do you?[​IMG]) Anyways, I wondered if they would like music so I asked them if they wanted to hear some hymns. I just started belting them out and the hens came right up to my feet and listened with intrigue. They were moving their heads side to side and their bodies still like statues. I then started to sing "Something About That Name" and when I sang "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" the two roos both made a high pitch note at the exact same time and were all perked up. Then they were joining in with the hens with the head movements.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they did as well.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    hehehe soooo awesome. i always walk up to the coop and say "hi babies!!!" and my polish roo always crows for me. If he hears or see me anywhere he talks. Chickens are such a joy to have

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] You are not alone! Not only do I talk to my girls, but I have sung to them too.
    They look up at me and come really close clucking and joining in, a testament to the fact that they are as tone-deaf as I am.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    How cute! A little chicken choir. [​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    well of course they liked it! i sing to mine all the time. they like it when i use the hoe for a microphone and do dance moves. who doesn't want to bust into a little Kirk Franklin and Toby Mac every now and then? if you sing it, you gotta do the dance. it's all wrong if you don't. [​IMG]

my neighbors, on the other hand probably think i'm a nutbar. [​IMG]

edited because i forgot a link!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    mine like "itsy bitsy spider"..they watch my fingers as i make the spider moves.
    also "wheels on the bus" is a another good one - the sounds sometimes scare them but they always come back for more!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If I sang to my chickens they'd stop laying for a week...at least. [​IMG]

8. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    LOL a chicken choir.
    One time I got tired of practicing my saxophone inside so I went outside to play. And so I decided I would play a few tunes for my cows. Well the first note I played they all started to moo and runaway...hmmm maybe that's a sign [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    But of course. We do show tunes at my coop. They particularily like Oklahoma and anything from South Pacific. Whistling too.

Of course, only folks on this site know this......

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    [​IMG] Awww, I always chat with them in a sing-song voice, but never thought to sing to them, that sounds like fun, I'd love to see what their reactions would be....I'll just make sure no one else is around when I do it, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by