OKay... I know that I am overly paranoid since I'm new to this, but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jun 24, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    ...I'm a little concerned about my Sussex. I just noticed that she's kind of small compared to all of the others. So I watched her for a while and took note of her poop. And what I noted was that there was only the white part and none of the brown part. Shouldn't every poop have the poop part and not just the urine part??? I've got parrots and I've raised a few other birds in my time and I don't recall ever seeing a poop that didn't contain, well, poop!

Since I was a bit concerned, I put some food in my hand and offered it to the Sussex. She ate and ate and ate. Everyone took a little nibble, but she really ate. She knows where the food container is and I've never seen anyone chase her away.

Should I be worried about her? Are chickens just the weirdos of the bird world or could something be going on with her?

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Is it a speckled sussex? They grow a lot smaller than other chickens. I have one out of the 24 and he is sooo much smaller but absolutely fine. And don't worry they poop different colors and everything almost every poop. As long as its eating and drinking and running around ok I wouldn't worry too much [​IMG]

4. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Yep, she's a Speckled Sussex. So stinkin' cute!

But... AHHH! The poop that I saw looked like one of the "abnormal" poops! All white and nothing else. [​IMG] It said the picture was from a dehydrated older hen and it might be a kidney problem. I'll keep an eye on her to make sure she's drinking, though I couldn't do much about it if she weren't. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by