okay, i know this has been asked before (sad ending...)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyfam, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kyfam

kyfam New Egg

May 12, 2008
    Good broody hen, seemed happy...she still has 6 eggs under her on Day 22...yesterday we found 2 that had hatched, but to no avail...today, a beautiful hatch,seemed healthy, strong chipping...got all the way out of the shell, and then, 3 hours later, dead. Had a small little sack attached..to what looked like its belly? Ugh...any and all advice would be welcome, because we (or our Broody) are doing something wrong!)
    Thanks in advance, you all are great!!!

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    hmmm thats a thinker the sac sounds to be a protruding yolk i know theres aa term for it but it can cause death but alot of them live to usually a bator problem though but from what i know it raare with a hen all i can say is im sorry to hear bout ur biddies and it happens

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like an unabsorbed yolk. Are the chicks dying on their own or are they being attacked-other chickens will attack the chicks and sometimes even Mom?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    These usually happens in a bator when temps are a bit to high and the chick hatches just a little bit earlier than it should, as all that should be absorbed just as they come out of the egg.

Are you sure of the day count? If she was on Day 20 or so, I would guess that a summer hatch may be making the hatching environment just a bit to high. Although I have never heard of this with a natural hatch, it seems possible that the ambient temp of the mom can affect the temp of the nest and affect the hatch. I can see that in my coop happening since the nexting box protrudes out frmoo my coop, so the under side of it would be affected by outside temps, and could therefore affect the eggs.

Otherwise, I dont know what may have happen. Hopefully at least on little chick will make it so that she can be a mommy.

Sorry bout your chickies.

5. kyfam

kyfam New Egg

May 12, 2008
    One thought...this broody started sitting on a few eggs and we later added more....do you think we may have messed her up by starting the eggs on staggered days? Perhaps she's been trying to regulate the temp/humidity for eggs that are all developing at different stages, and the challenge is too great? Especially considering its July in Kentucky and quite hot?
    Thanks for you thoughts...I'm still crossing my fingers for her, and I have another broody whose eggs are pipping today, and those all were started at the same time, so we'll see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by