1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Okay I making myself crazy so I am going with common sense *pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cetawin, May 15, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay, you get ducklings and you want to do everything right for them. They are cute and adorable and suddenly they become cute, adorable and MESSY! I mean wet, water slinging mess makers of the fuzzy variety.

So, I went over my care sheet from Holderread and made sure I was following everything to a T and STILL mess, wet mess makers and eeeewww.

so, I threw my hands up in the air and gave in to losing the battle. Then it occurred to me...what would mother duck do, afterall I am taking her place right now so what would she do?

She would boot their butts outside in the warm sunshine, let them play, eat grass, chase bugs and make a mess and sling water all over the place.

So, out they went into my small tractor. It is a beautiful sunny warm 80 degrees outside, very little wind so this is what I did. I got my small tractor, an old sheet, their waterer, their feeder, a bowl of water with lettuce floating in it and took them out. I put the sheet over half of it and checked the temperature both in the shade and the sun and they are happy as all get out and they are getting no more wet than they do normally trying to lay or play in their waterer.

[​IMG]

At first they were nervous and tried to hide

[​IMG]

But I called them to me by sayinf "It's okay babies" and they came crowding around the corner where I was

[​IMG]

Then they started to move around and play

[​IMG]

so, I gave them their bowl of water with lettuce floating in it, which they were not sure of

[​IMG]

And suddenly someone got brave and checked it out, grabbed a piece of lettuce and jumped into the bowl and then it was mayhem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, at 4 days old they are enjoying the outdoors, eating, playing in a little bit of water, chasing bugs and just being little ducks. Of course, I am watching them constantly and sitting there talking to them. I can see them from here and everyone is napping in the sun. They are free from drafts because any wind is blocked by the sheet and they are happy ducklings.

I am not going to make myself a nervous ninny and basketcase worrying about them getting wet or too wet or or or or common sense says mama duck would have them outside and they would be getting a little wet (not soaked) so why not let them enjoy the beautiful day. Tomorrow it is going to be warmer and warmer still on Sunday so I am letting them enjoy it. Rather than being stuck in a plastic tote in bathroom.

Hopefully, my common sense approach works and no one gets ill but i just do not think that will happen...they will be fine.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would do the same thing. Your ducks have the option to go in the sun or go in the shade as needed. That's just what they need [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That is what I thought. It is 80 in the sun and about 75-76 in the shaded area. That is not too cold for them and they prefer the shaded area so that tells me they are okay. No one is shivering or panting, they are not all piled up together and they are active.

I was making myself nuts over these babies. I did it with the first two sets of chicks I had and the third set...pffffttttt if it was nice out, they went out.

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by