Okay I Need Advice and some Hope for my Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickbrad24, Dec 12, 2014.

1. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Today starts day 21. From day 1 to 18 the incubator was set between 37.5℃ and 38.0℃ humidity stayed around 40% to 45 for the first 18 days. The only time I opened the bator was to candle eggs at day 7-10-14. From day 18-21 the humidity was at 60% it dropped down yesterday to 55 and today. There's no movement no pepping nothing. Is there something I missed ? Will they hatch or is it to late ? Please help !!!

2. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    Give them a couple more days, sometimes it takes them a little longer than the 21 days. If they have pipped internally then they are using up the air in the shell which will make them start the external pip. It's exhausting work so don't lose hope.

3. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much Dcat. Yesterday I did see 1 egg slightly rocking back and forth. But today there is nothing. It just turned day 21 like maybe 4 hours ago. I just hope all is well. I will give it time I'm just anxious.

4. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    There is a lot of resting in between each milestone, once the pip externally they will rest some more, absorb the rest of the yolk and blood in the viens and finally after it feels like forever they zip and hatch. LOL nothing make you worry more than the last few days and praying you did everything right.

5. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    That's what I'm praying that I did everything right and I'm waiting for them to externally pip sometime during the day.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with Dcat. 21 days is just a guide nothing is set in stone for eggs. Are you sure your on day 21? Did you count day 1 after a full 24 hours after you set the eggs? So say you set the eggs on a Monday at 9am day 1 woukd acctually be Tuesday at 9am. This sometimes causes unnecessary panic

7. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yes Yorkshire Coop when I set the eggs the bator said 0 days then on Saturday night around 8:45 it said day 1. And it's saying day 21. I believe I did everything right I did candle 1 egg quickly and there was a lot of movement. So I'm thinking they just need more time I just don't want them to shrink wrap because the humidity is like staying around 55%. I did read it could take them a while to hatch after they externally pip. My fingers are crossed and I'm praying a lot.

8. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    At this point just keep the humidity up, wait, sit on your hands, learn needlepoint, wait some more lol. Before you know it you'll see that first pip while you weren't watching (like you go use the bathroom and come back). I like my humitity around 65% but you should be ok as long as you dont open it and just add water when needed. Keep us updated!

9. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I am currently in your shoes!! Mine will be at day 21 in the morning and all I've seen so far is a few rocking and wiggling just a little. It is quite nerve wracking!! Have you tried making a chirping sound at the incubator? When I did that earlier, is when they started rocking. I felt a little crazy at first(LOL), but was glad I did it because it atleast let me know that a few were still alive. Good luck with your hatch!!! Keep us posted!!

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    What Dcat said. Mine hatched day 26. Like human babies it's not an exact science, just seems that way when everyone says day 21 is hatching day so it feels like they should arrive on cue but just leave them be and sit patiently till day 28 because believe it or not even that isn't unheard of. :). So I wouldn't even be worried at all if you are seeing movement and you are only day 21.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by