okay, I ordered 10 CornishX chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wjallen05, Dec 31, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I placed an order of chicks from Ideal to ship in two weeks, and I included 10 CornishXRock chicks. Is it okay to keep them with the other chicks or should they have their own brooder (I'm thinking so) since they grow so fast. Also do they need special feed or care? Also I got straight run... should I learn to caponize the boys?
    TIA!

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes I would separate them if I was you and your going to be pleased with how they turn out.

No need to caponize the Cornish x's they grow real big and tender all on their own... Good luck keep us posted.

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have kept them mixed for a couple weeks with no problems. Once they learn that their only purpose is to eat they hogged the feeder and had to be separated. [​IMG]

The only reason why I did it was because I had a small order and I felt that setting up two brooders was just a waste of time.

4. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Eh, you know what, that means I'll need two lights running. Maybe I should cancel the meat birds and wait until warmer weather?

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:That would be my plan. I'm waiting until late February before I order mine, maybe later, for them to come in March. You are probably warmer down there in Georgia.

Chicks are springtime critters.

6. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Chicks are springtime critters.

Yes, but here it is usually in the 50s during the day, and sometimes the 60s. I figure by Feb it'll be warm enough during the day- but it does get very cold at night (30s) so they need a light then and the idea of running two heat bulbs doesn't sound appealing to me. I ordered for mid-Jan because I just set some eggs in the bator yesterday so I'll (hopefully) be having some chicks at that time anyway.

I want to order some ducks in the spring anyway so maybe I'll wait till then and order them at the same time...​

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Can you set the brooders close together so they can share the heat? The meaties won't need it as long as the other chicks anyway.
    I would go for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by