Okay I think I've got the final design down

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, Apr 15, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    So I've decided to do this design. I am putting my 4' x 6' hen house inside of my 12'x 8' chicken run. I am also putting in a 4' x 4' compost pile. I am going to do a large run with the coop inside so that way I can open the people door on the hen house and leave it open during warmer days to allow the hens more ventilation. Suggestions would eb greatly appriciated....

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great start!

3. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    That looks like it will work well. DO you have one window? Will it be open for cross ventilation with the door? My 2 cents is to have at least one other window that opens to keep well ventilated. We got our windows out of a dumpster but recycle centers usually have good stuff. Will your compost be in the pen? I wasn't sure if you were going to stage it in there or not. Chickens do such great jobs at composting you may not need a separate area. It looks good from here! It's so exciting. Our greenhouse/chicken coop also known as the "palace" has its 4 sides up and we are putting the rafters up this weekend. YYaya.
    P.S. I don;t know if you have your wood yet but my DH got super deals on returns from Lowes. We have had to hardly buy anything at full price. The universe provides.
    Rachael-mother of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by