OKAY--I WANT: A Rare Breed that ranges well, is thrifty, more...(WA)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm looking for a rare breed of chicken that free ranges well, is thrifty (does well on little feed), is weather resistant (tolerant of extreme cold -20) & tolerant of extreme heat (110 degrees).

I have a small coop ( 4 x 6') that I am planning to convert to a chicken tractor this summer...so these birds would have access to this year 'round and would be dry & protected from the wind/rain/sun. It will be insulated.

I would perfer pea combs, rose combs, etc I do not want to mess with capturing & vaseoline-smearing birds in the winter. [​IMG]

I would also perfer a lighter breed = smaller, more flighty, do not eat as much in the winter.

Here is the clincher--they need to be at least decent layers so they will pay for their feed in winter.

I was thinking of Orloffs (I have bantams coming), though...Or maybe Cubalayas?? Or maybe LaFleche? They would probably need clean legs (no feathers) because otherwise, they will be bare with ranging around...

Any other suggestions? The extra roos will be processed or sold and I only plan to keep 1 roo and maybe 6 hens...

Edited to add: I already have:

Bantam Chickens
    Salmon Faverolles
    Mille Fleur Cochins (expected fall of 2009)

Standard Breeds of Chickens
    Golden Laced Cochins
    Lemon-Blue Cochins
    Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons
    Black Sumatras

Waterfowl
    Muscovy Ducks
    (chocolate pieds, black pieds, whites, blues)
    Sebastopol Geese
    Black Cayuga Ducks

Bantam Waterfowl
    Bantam Silky Ducks (unavailable in 2009)

Ornamental Pheasants
    Yellow Golden Pheasants

Upcoming Projects (Standards)
    White Faced White Spanish
    Golden Laced Orpingtons (expected spring 2010)
    La Fleche (expected spring of 2010)
    White Bearded Silkies
    Bantam Spangled Orloffs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got some mottled Javas that are supposed to fit that bill. Mine are still young tho so I can't say from experience yet if they'll live up to it.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, I saw an article on those in one of my magazines....they look interesting...but I'm wondering if I'd have to dub their combs? My Orps & cochins have frostbite from this year. [​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Egyptian Fayomis dont know what type of comb they have but they are very hardy and rangey

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Those sound interesting...it just seems like I'm having to "bubble wrap" most of my breeds...if you sneeze on them, they drop. LOL (Okay, maybe an overstatement--but still!) The orps & cochins are pretty hardy...but the Houdans & Creves not so much. I really wanted some white houdans but after my mottleds didn't make the winter, that turned me off to them, completely. I'm worried that my La Fleche may turn out the same. [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

I think the Egyptian Fayomis may be too light & small to survive the winters....they also look pretty tiny?? I have a cat that catches rabbits & quail...so I don't want anything too tiny... I threated my hubby with a pack of Shamos, LOL He just freaks when he sees pics & calls them "Dinosaurs!" LOL They are tightly feathered but maybe too big...again...I do not want to have to pour 50lbs a week into them when it's -20 out. [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might look into Hamburgs?

Pat

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Hamburgs.....**takes note**

Thanks!

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    My La Fleche are doing great in all this crappy weather. The breeder I got them from said his lay wonderfully, for many years also. Mine haven't started laying yet(5mo) but he said to expect eggs once it warms up a little.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

do you have any pics of yours? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by