Okay, I wormed them ... now what?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Zonoma, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Because there are worms EVERYWHERE in the run! [​IMG] Do I till them under? I mean, what do I do? It's nasty!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you're sure they came out of the chickens, I would get the chickens out of there and let them die, on top of the soil. At least I'm guessing they would. I know with dogs they can get reinfested from worms on the gorund.

3. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I was afraid you were going to say that but removing the chickens from the run simply isn't an option. Is there another way?

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Leave them in the coop for a day.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I'd take the chickens out, remove all visible signs and treat with diatomaceous earth or some other worm killer. If you don't treat the source they will keep getting re-infested [​IMG]

6. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I can probably do that. [​IMG] Will it be okay if they stay in starting tomorrow? I don't think I can even catch them to put them in there at this point. I CAN work on cleaning out all the poo from the coop today, though (just in case there were worms expelled in there this morning).

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Are the worms maggots from flies?

8. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:No. I'm fairly certain they're common round worms. They look similar to what I used to see after helping friends worm puppies.

9. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Okay! One more question: Now that I've wormed with Wazine 17 and we're not using eggs..... What do I do with the withdrawal eggs? Can I feed them back to the chickens scrambled?

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think that would cause a longer withdrawal. Feeding the eggs back would give them another dose albeit smaller.
    I would compost the eggs or dispose of them.
    I'd also rake, sweep shovel as many worms out of the run as you can. Can you free range them while you do it?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by