Okay, I'm a little freaked out - protruding vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 4, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So I went out to check on the chicks and clean out the water dishes and whatnot. I always do a head count, make sure everyone is acting normally. Check the temp, etc. Well, one of the chicks I got yesterday I noticed has some stool around her vent. So I gently cleaned the area and discovered her vent is protruding. It's not horribly bad, not bleeding or anything, but after I cleaned, the tiniest bit of foamy looking liquid came out of her vent.

What do I do???

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    My one chick had a protruding vent from eating too much of the paper I had in the brooder before I switched then to pine shaving. Her friend started to peck her bottom so I just put a mesh seperation between the two and applied some Preperation H around her vent a couple of times a day till the swelling went down and her vent went back to normal.

3. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you! I JUST isolated her. I have her in a Rubbermaid container in the brooder. Though it's clear and I'm worried that might stress her because she wants in with the other chicks. She appears to be cuddling with an EE everytime I check on them. I have tried to keep the shavings covered with puppy pads, but this newest batch kicks them EVERYWHERE!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by