Okay, I'm gonna ask a real crazy question here

Cleoandclover

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Washington state
Okay. I breed show quality Seramas. As you may or may not know, really huge combs in serama roosters are something both common and not desirable. Feeding excess mealworms will give a rooster a huge comb if fed while they're growing. But I'm curious. This may sound stupid, but say you had a hen, and you fed her a lot of mealworms, then she layed an egg and incubated it, and the embryo inside grew up to be a cockerel, would that cockerel grow a larger-than-normal comb?

We'll , I don't think so. But yes the nutrition in the eggs yolk would be higher so the cockerel might have a larger comb but not too large because the nutrition from those mealworms would be evenly distributed. Some for the chicken , and some for all the eggs she's gonna produce In the future.

So it won't be such a big comb.:D

The comb is developed later in life and not grown to any significant extent in the egg . Feeding meal worms will not change the chicken's genetics in the least so the impact to comb development from a hen eating meal worms I don't think is worth worrying about. The only real impact will be that as suggested if nutrition of the egg is better and the rooster hatched is healthier they may grow a larger comb but I don't think that is really anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom