Okay its been awhile so...What'd ya get?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by andisgarden, Apr 7, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    I know many of you bought straight run chicks from the various sources and I was wondering what did you get? Mine are about 6 weeks old and here is a list of what I got in my many trips to Atwoods.
    2RIR pullets, 6EE4 pullet and 2 roo, 1 black Frizzle Roo, 3 golden Comet pullets, 1 bar rock bantam Cochin pullet, 1partridge Cochin bantam pullet, 2 dark brown leghorn pullets, 2 buff polish, 1 black sex link pullet, 1 Austrolaup pullet, 2 Spitzhauben I think 1 roo and 1 pullet, 2 Welsummer pullets, 2 silver lace polish, 2 golden lace polish, 1 white crest blue polish, 2 Buttercup 1roo 1 pullet, 4 Barred rock pullet, 1 white leghorn roo, 1 SLW roo, 2 cochin bantam white and buff roo and pullet, 1 unknown banty.

Please forgive my spelling I know I have butchered many breeds but, I am learning. I just wonder what everyone else got.

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Wow, you've got a great assortment.

I've gotten 5 blue bantam cochin pullets, and 5 blue bantam cochin cockerels out of a straight run order from Ideal. Now I've got 9 straight run cornish X, 3 weeks old yesterday, from Ideal. I think they're 5 cockerels and 4 pullets. And I hatched out 8 silkies, six days ago. It's obviously still too early to even guess those guys. That's since October. Before that, I had 29 assorted chickens, including 2 cockerels, a silver-laced polish and a silver-spangled hamburg.

So I think that so far I've gotten really close to 50/50 on my male/female ratio. Maybe if I had an even number of chicks old enough to sex, it would be 50/50.

They are addictive, aren't they! And I agree with your signature - chick therapy is the best. It works for me!

3. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    aww, I am so sorry so many have died. That is terrible. I have had a really lucky time of it so far. I lost 2 polish really soon after taking them home and one that I killed with the water. I sat it on the chick and didn't notice until a few hours later when I picked it up to refill and clean it. I was devastated by that one.

4. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    Nobody else wants to share?

5. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I was very reserved and only bought one chick from TSC and it was a straight run cutie.

So any idea what she will be.

Description- dark red head fluff with cheek patches that are white and yellow legs and feet.

Surely it is a pullet; and hopefully an EE.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    6 SLW
    1 Red Sexlink
    1 RIR
    1 Black Sexlink
    6 Black Australorps
    6 EE's
    3 Buff Orps

[​IMG]

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I have only bought 2 SR from TSC so far this year. Lots more out of the pullet bins. Anyhow, we got a white rock and a turken that have turned out to be a pullet and a cockeral.
    Oldest daughter also talked me into getting her a colored chick from the feed store that is also a white rock but I don't know what it is yet. I am out of town but will probably post a pic of it when we get back....It's really a stunning bright blue [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by