OKAY KIDS, APPARENTLY BLACK BEARS ARE BREEDING IN FL, I WAS INFORMED THIS MORNING A 350 LBS BEAR RAN

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Righteous Rstr, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Righteous Rstr

Righteous Rstr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Osteen Florida
    The fish cops said don't worry they only eat vegetation or trash, I asked if they eat my livestock
    "what can I DO OR NOT DO" ? It looks like the dog got beat up a little,so that's out. I CAN fire
    warning shots if he is killing my stock, but no kill shots? A bear will walk right through my coop
    or goat pen and my brooders are on my back porch chock full of Mc nuggets ! Up home this
    would be a freezer full of Yogi-burger, here I get to feel what George Zimmerman felt .In fact I'M
    pretty sure legally speaking the bear has more rights than I do! So the state says I'm on my
    own ! To say I'm a little worried is an understatement. They will not trap until stuff gets killed !
    The paw prints are 9" from ball to center claw and maybe an inch deep ,Protocol is ?? RR

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In the northern part of my state, people put electric fence around their beehives to keep the bears out. You may need some high-powered electric fencing around your coops.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Florida and their silly rules. If your neighbor's dog is killing your livestock you can shoot it. But if a black bear is killing your livestock you can't. I guess you have contact the proper authorities to have the bear relocated. If you do see the bear be sure to document it on your property-especially if it destroys your property.

Do they have bear season in Florida?

1 person likes this.
  4. quigley257

quigley257 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2013
    SSS...

1 person likes this.
  5. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I don't give a bean's worth of flatulence what the state thinks of it, if a predator is after my livestock, I'm taking it out. It's almost funny that if your neighbor breaks into your home, you can test the effects of hollow points on human tissue with no legal qualms, but they try to dictate how to handle hawks, bears, and other such. Howsoever, if I ever have to shoot a bear, it's going in the freezer!

1 person likes this.
  6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I live in Alaska and bears are a constant threat we shoot them when they come around.

7. Mother Plucker

Mother Plucker New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    If you have a 12 Ga, get some bean bag rounds and nail it in the ribs a few times.
    If it doesn't respond to that, and F&W won't help you, then swap lead for bean bags, and get the knives out. If the bear is eating natural foods, that's good meat.
    If it's a dump bear, dig a pit and SSS.

1 person likes this.
  8. Righteous Rstr

Jul 9, 2013
    Osteen Florida
    OLD CHICK,, that's why I'M PO'D,do they right thing use my dime and time to
    be told TS you can't do anything!!!!! I made a point to ask ,what if warning shots
    po the bear and he turns on me I was told to run .Which I cannot do as I'm disabled.
    I shoot it fine/jail. Nice really like those options. RR

9. Righteous Rstr

Jul 9, 2013
    Osteen Florida
    Ready for this, have the mac daddy fence 100 miles+, a hog in a hurry goes right thru it.
    The bear has alot more furr. RR

10. Righteous Rstr

Jul 9, 2013
    Osteen Florida
    MOTHER PLUCKER,
    Bean bags are too costly and ineffective,my granny taught us to saw off the
    crimped end leave as much as you can. Be sure you use a very hot load .
    dump out shot,melt regular candle wax in a pan and fill it with wax to top.
    tip keep them in the freezer,they impact like a slug with zero penetration!!
    Works very well on physically abusive spouses close up they will kill so I
    would aim for the shoulder or thigh . Head shots are out/pointblank but it
    disintegrates on impact(non lethal) no question. RR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by