Okay! Much debate.. Male or Female Silver Button!?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Okay there has been MUCH debate here on BYC is Lilly is a female or a male... The Craigslist ad said she laid eggs with her mate whom I named james...
    Lilly is the silver... James is the one with the bib...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    DOes lilly have any pink feathers on her?

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Nope... I am guessing you mean esp around her vent area. I have checked her over around her under side and vent area. Can't see any pink. Even caught her again at much to her dislike so my bf could look. I've had her for 3 weeks.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    SHe is a silver blueface hen then. If you look at her vent it will look like an open void, very big hole compared to the males and she will deficate a bit.

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    It appears Lilly and James are on ceder wood chips... dont seem like they mind but may be a laying issue? Bill

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I'm too afraid of hurting her to do that DX she is a wiggler... But then 2 questions... Why does she try to mate with james (the wrong way) I mean James mates with her correctly too... Also, why hasn't she laid?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Some pine chips are colored that way...but if if it is cedar, might switch it to avoid issues [​IMG]

8. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Why would it be a laying issue? Susan and Peepmaster 5000 lay on them all the time.. I have 11 eggs from them?

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Not sure wat type of chips they r, I get them in a generic bag from my feed store... But I can ask.. Any ideas why the wierd mating is going on? Dominance issue maybe??

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    cedar is toxic to birds. It wouldn't affect laying but they inhale the aroma and toxicity. It just is a big no no for poultry, birds, etc. If you want a good and safe bedding in shaving, aspen or pine is your best bet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by