Okay, My Turn...RIRs & an EE? And what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harldane, Apr 16, 2008.

1. harldane

harldane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    I've been pouring though pictures on the forum since our 3 "girls" were born 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

I keep getting hopeful then let down as I read that the 2 larger girls (RIRs?) might be roosters - not allowed around here.

Daisy & Yum Yum (and Alice in the background)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a better side view of Alice who I think is an EE. Hen or Rooster?

[​IMG]

I was very excited to see what looked like Alice on the cover of "Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance" too when I picked it up at the libarary tonight! http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/hen_and_the_art_of_chicken_maintenance.html

Thanks
    everyone!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    u might want to change daisy's name to a boy name....by the size of the comb 'she' looks like a 'he'....the one next to him does too 'Yum Yum' (Thinking of dinner there, huh??? LOL!) Could be wrong, but I think those two are males.....the last one (silver) looks like a girl, though....just my opinion.

3. harldane

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Arrr, thanks cjeanean, that's what I've been afraid of.

Actually all 3 chicks were hatched in my daughter's kindergarten class and Yum Yum was born at lunch, so that's what the teacher suggested and the kids loved it - of course!

Fingers crossed that Alice is a girl at least. My husband said that for all this stress, we should just *buy* sexed girls next time. Maybe I should start working on that order.... [​IMG]

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Think Alice is a pullet, but the other 2 at 4 weeks old...BOYS!! Sorry...

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have to agree the RIRs are boys...Alice may be a girl...

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry to say, but the RIR's are roos. I bought 12 RIR's at Easter and 8 of them have turned out to be roos. My 4 that are pullets, still have very short, pale combs. All of the 8 roos combs are getting taller by the day and orange. The roos are also getting wattles, like yours, and my pullets are not. Mine are all 4 1/2 weeks old now. Sorry!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  7. harldane

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I had a gut feeling that that would be the answer. [​IMG]

Now, do you all feel that Alice is an EE too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by