Okay new pics of my Mystery chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dangeralley, Apr 5, 2009.

1. dangeralley

dangeralley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    I've taken more pics lets see if we can tell what he is. The guy I got him from said he had, Black Stars, Golden Comets, white rocks, Barred Rock. All we have left from that bunch is the golden comet and this one. So he probley is a Black Star. Oh and I though she was a Hen....Nope it's a Rooster. Go figure.

<Br>
    [​IMG]
    <Br>
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    <Br>
    [​IMG]
    <Br>

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Red Sex-link pullet and rooster
    This cross results from mating a Production strain Rhode Island Red male with a Delaware female

This is from the feathersite.com. I think it is a red sexlink with this crossing.....
    [​IMG]
    He is very pretty though [​IMG]

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    How do you know its a rooster? Did it start crowing? Also, how old is your chick?

4. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    He is 8 or 9 weeks old. And under his neck is really red. And my hen of the same age, doesn't have that.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    What about a cross between a white rock and a barred rock? Either a second generation cross or white rock roo (haven't raised any mixed but understand from reading that roos genes rule in the first generation.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think the comb on your chick is pretty small for a roo - I think she's probably a pullet. If you are talking about the wattles being red - from what I can see, they look normal for a female chick, especially if she is a barred rock or sexlink cross. You can't really compare the mystery chick with the other chicks you have because they are different breeds.

Here's a photo of my barred rock pullet at only 7-8 weeks. You can see her wattles, but she is definitely female. She started laying eggs 3 weeks ago (at 22 weeks of age).

[​IMG]

I think your chick is a mix of two of the breeds you have listed (not sure which two) and will turn out to be a real pretty & unique hen.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I agree that he/she is a barred rock white rock cross.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Having several chicks in that age range, I have to say, if she was a cockerel she'd have much more pronounced comb and wattles (and they should be a very distinct dark pink). I don't know the breeding, though. She kinda looks like some of the Delaware babies I've had, except for the dark eye liner. I'm gonna vote White Rock X Barred Rock, too.

9. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    thanks, all. I was still guessing on hen or roo. Wasn't sure. She's cute....but really aggressive to the smaller chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by