Okay one died,and

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksinthemachine, Aug 18, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    We helped one out and we open the hole a little for two more, the humidity was low and now I'm wondering if we need to get them out completly or let them be. I have added water now and none of the others are piping yet so now what should we do?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    How long have they been pipped?...Chicks take 24 hours and longer from pipping their shells til they zip out of the eggs....opening and closing the bator after pipping starts in not a good idea...when they have pipped the shells humidity is added from inside the egg so no need to add more water.... my thoughts....

3. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Cool there are 3 out now and 1 half way there that we may have a lot more by morning, hopefully.

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I have helped many out though I never help out til they have been pipped around 2 days! I have had them pip on day 19 and not hatch out til day 21. If they are showing signs of distress (ex. not chirping well or membrane is sticking to them badly) then I opt to help them out. I have opened the bator before to add water, very quickly and have never had a problem but that is just me. I say don't do anything til you give them a chance.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yeah!!! Give them a chance. They'll almost always do it on their own!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Anymore this morning?!?! [​IMG]

7. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I've got 6 almost 7 this morning! [​IMG] We did have to help one more out because of the membrane late last night and they are just a peeping away! Well maybe 8 I hear more peeping will check in a minute. They are all black with white on the underside any ideas on what they are? I got them from a farmer down the road and no idea what I have in here.

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Once you get them out of the 'bator and into the brooder take a picture and post it, otherwise your description could mean any number of breeds.

9. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    okay hold on a sec.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hooray!!! [​IMG] I'm so happy that more are hatching! The pics will definitely help to ID them. I can't wait to see! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by