Okay question regarding the legality of keeping mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nessy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    I was recently given a pair of white mallards that are pets and whose parents were pets and I have recently realized that they are on the list of native protected species. Now when you buy mallard ducklings are all the hatcheries these days now required to have all the paperwork to keep these guys just like you would with wood ducks and other wild species or is there some kind of grandfather clause for birds that were owned before they were added to the list?
    I want to make sure I don’t get fined for having them as they are not to valuable to begin with; and I am not sure they would be worth the trouble of jumping through all the hoops to keep them. Anyone have any experience regarding this, I guess I could just release them, but I hate it when other people dump their pets I really don’t want to do the same especially with our recent local West Nile virus outbreak in a nearby pond I have been keeping all the birds in nest boxes at night to help keep them away from the mosquitoes.

Thanks for help anyone can offer

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I could be wrong, but I think you are okay. The white mallard is a "domesticated" form of the mallard, just like many of todays ducks.

The reason you need a permit or license to order mallards or wood ducks, is because the occur in the wild and are native. Basically you need paper saying you did not steal or capture the animals from the wild.

Since white mallards are a domesticated form, you should need proof stating you are allowed to keep "wild" birds. Does that make since? No one should doubt that you have domestic ducks, as native ducks are usually not white.

Besides, unless a person is highly familiar with duck species, they are not going to be able to recognise your ducks are mallards. You could just say they are miniature Pekins. LOL

Don't fret, I really believe you have nothing to worry about.

-Kim

3. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Unless they are willing to come to your farm, draw blood and send it away for DNA testing to confirm the species of the duck, you have no worries. I have an albino mallard and have had him for 3 years now and unless I specifically tell someone his heritage, no one would ever know. You will be fine. PS. There he is next to my Pekin in my profile picture.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:really albino? Pink eyes?

5. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    There are varying degrees of albinism in ducks (probably with most things but don't quote me). The full-out albino has no pigment ie: pinkish bill and legs. Mine has pink eyes but a yellow bill and legs. He/she (just when I think I have it figured out, I change my mind) also has a neuro-muscular disorder. Whenever stressed, loses most of the motor ab ility in it's legs. That combined with the whiteness would not have made for a happy release at the wildlife center...hence he came to live with me. I also question his vision.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:It's a fainting duck! The duck version of the Fainting goats! I know it's off-topic, couldn't help but comment.

I wonder if his/her offspring will be the same.

-Kim

7. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    Glad I dont have to worry about paperwork that is why I like the mandarin ducks I dont have to worry about someone showing up to check on what I am up to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by