Okay.......Rabbit People.....health question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KingsCalls, Aug 13, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I recently bought my step-daughter a 7 week old Netherland dwarf. She was fine for about 4 days but, now she is acting funny. She runs from you as soon as you put your hand in the pen. She used to come to your hand! She also acts dizzy....she falls to one side and begins to shake and she stretches and just falls over! Any ideas as to why she is acting like this? Oh and last night she woke us up squealing..!

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Check her ears for ear mites. They would be a crusty dirty. If they are clean them out and use mineral oil or an ear mite treatment-usually you find them in the pets section with the cat/dog stuff. You should also clean her pen. I wouldn't use any hay or anything else for bedding for a couple days to a week depending on how bad it is.

Good luck!

3. common coop

common coop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Granby
    I guess I qualify as rabbit people - as I have 6 indoor bunnies, and frequently stop at neighbor bunny pens - to provide clean hay, water, pellets, comfort, clip their nails, clean their scent glands - etc. Rabbits have got to be the most misunderstood creature in the world -- I mean -- they are not dogs and cats -- who have a fairly similar digestive tract as humans, and yet pet stores sell them like kid toys to plant in their yard -- with minimum care and attention to the details that rabbits need to be healthy and happy. Chickens on the other hand -- are easier than cats and dogs - given protection from weather - but can never be litter box trained. Anyway - It does sound like your bunny is having inner ear problems -- easy to acquire without fresh hay daily - especially given the amount of rain lately - and the result of moldy hay. But then try to find a vet who knows the basic internal anatomy of a rabbit... Without the presence of mites -- there is always the possibility of a bacteria that presents itself as 'snuffles' - (wet nose - eyes ) that can more or less migrate around the body -- even rest in the brain -- causing neurological damage. The best online bunny site for searching out problems - -is Rabbit Ref. Her behaviour change from friendly to defensive - is most likely linked to 'cage agression' which is almost always present in unspayed females. As they develop from sweet little girls to young adults -- their hormones kick in - with or without a male stimulus -- and their pen becomes a place to defend their potential young. Not unlike a dog in a car. It doesn't get any better -- even if you have a daily handling relationship -- they will behave erratically -- until spayed. Rabbits are about the most difficult creature for a kid to take care of properly -- without adult help. And it's always the bunny that suffers -- despite the nips they can so easily give. You could ask around for 4H folks -- who would know a bit more - and maybe help you out. I let mine run round the kitchen -- they are easily litter box trained -- and love to be held - and are quite delightful once a relationship is developed. Good luck. And like chickens -- clean water, food, and bedding goes a long way...

4. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    The shaking and falling over sounds like a seizure. I'd check with a vet.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    commoncoop-I raised rabbits growing up and never had a female have cage aggression unless she had little ones or was about to have them. We have two mini rexes right now that are a few weeks older than Kingscalls and don't have any trouble with them either.

I have seen rabbits with ear mites that display the symptoms discribed that's why I recommended checking that first.

6. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    wry neck? just a thought.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I also agree to check her for mites, sometime it will mess with there balance, making them act kind of like your described.

You should freeze all her toys if you do find mites. Freezing them will kill the mites and there eggs, and that way you don't have to throw toys or bedding away.

Although it could be something much more serious like seizures. Either way I would take her to the vet for a little visit. Most vets will take in rabbits, but it's always good to call before hand.

good luck

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    ear mites or ear infection, either way she will need vet care as neither will go away and will tortorous to the bunny

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    All good advice above - I just have this to add...
    You never said how old your daughter is, or if she is used to handling bunnies. A lot of kids treat rabbits like stuffed animals that they can grab and carry around any time they want. You should never, never, never reach into the bun's cage to handle it, you should open the door and let it come out to you. The cage is BUNNY'S home, and she needs to feel safe there. We wouldn't feel very safe if a huge hand came into our living room and plucked us out of our chairs [​IMG], and bunnies don't like that either. Also, young kids are sometimes a bit rough for bunnies, and as the rabbit struggles to get away, it is easy to injure them.
    Squealing is a sign of severe fear or pain - it sounds like bunny needs a trip to the veterinarian...very few bunnies vocalize unless something is terribly wrong.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by