Okay, She's Not a BR (as advertised), BJG or a BA. What is She?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I posted about this girl after I got her. I bought her as a Barred Rock. I knew she wasn't because she had no head spot or any other yellow/white. So, I watched her feet and legs. At first I thought she had yellow bottoms of her feet. Today I grabbed my solid black little chicky (now 3/4wks old), noted the solid black legs and checked her feet bottoms. They, too, are solid black. So what breed is she? I would like to mention that I also got Buff Orps at the same time, so I had thought maybe a Black Orp or a Black Rock... But I really don't know anything about them.

Thanks for any help!

* Langshan? They have all black legs and feet. Oh, and she's larger than the BRs, more like the size of the Orps and they are all the same age.

Last edited:
I have 14 BAs, they have pink feet bottoms, she's not a BA. BJGs have yellow feet bottoms, so she isn't a BJG. She's some other breed of the black coloration.
wink.png

I know they would be... I have one of her, I think, but it doesn't show her legs.

*goes to look*

82238_100_1004.jpg

You can see just a snippet of the top of her leg! She's the solid black one.

Again, I have 14 other Australorps... she is not an Australorp. Her feet bottoms and legs are solid black - no pink, no yellow, no other color than solid black from toe up.
She's not a Black Star/Black Sexlink. I know what they look like, too.

I promise to try and get better pics of her tomorrow

Last edited:
I'm looking at a silkie cross? My silkies sometimes accidentally breed with my laying hens and once in a while those eggs will hatch to look a little like that actually
cool.png

Quote:
Oh, yeah... I should have mentioned that she looks a bit tasseled because I had just found her stuck between the wall and the brooder right before these pics. Her feathers are normal, smooth feathers. She was in with the Barred Rocks when I bought her - and there were no other breeds in the stacked brooder with the BRs at Agway. She's obviously not a BR. There were no other black or barred breeds there either, so she was sent by accident from the hatchery. Unless... She's a black Rock? I don't know anything about them though, so I don't know what color their legs and feet are. She has a yellow comb, black beak and I think yellow skin. Only the normal number of toes.

There are BOs, Slikies, the BRs and this girl in the brooder in this pic.

Last edited:
Hrm.... are her legs clean feathered? She has a very cochin caboose. Either that or I'm raising so many cochins right now that I see cochins everywhere
th.gif

Looks alot like some of the Black Sex Links people have been confused about this year (including myself). Mine are 8weeks old and have just now started getting gold on them this week.I would like to mention that black rock is just another name for BSL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom