Okay, so…. Random feather loss + molting…???

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
Probably 6-7 (maybe more) months ago about half my chickens began losing feathers right above the origin of tail feathers. Typically a patch about the size of a deck of cards. I cleaned the coop. I sprayed the coop. I sprayed the birds. Feathers never grew back. I witness no attempts to breed. I have no rooster. I could find no pests at night. I witnessed no fighting over roosting position.

Egg laying stayed pretty consistent.

About a month ago eggs tapered off and a full on molt ensued. All chickens lost some amount of feathers. This time in normal molting spots.

Zero eggs from 21 chickens.

As of today almost all feathers are back. No artificial light. NW Florida. 0 eggs. Should I expect none until spring? I figured a random bird or two would still lay on occasion.

?????

How old are these hens? Hens several years old will not usually lay during molt, and they will not lay again while the days are in the process of getting shorter and won't lay again until the days begin getting longer, usually sometime after January.

The consistent bald patches in front of the tail is a favorite spot for hens to pluck one another, usually engaging in this bahavior during spring and summer in the afternoons during loafing time. Watch for it. You may be able to stop it by identifying the perpetrator(s) and taking steps to prevent it. Pinless peepers is one of the things that can work to prevent the pickers from engaging in this behavior.

They were all hatched March 30, 2020. So… a few days past 19 months.

21 chickens and again, seemed healthy and happy with bald patches…. Peak egg production averaged 16-17 I’d guess. Tapered as summer came to an end…. And tapered quickly. 16, 13, 12, 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, 1, 0… or about like that anyway. I’m sure I’m off a little but you get the picture. I just figured even through winter wed her a few here and there. Guess not. They laid great though fall and winter 2020, but I’ve read that’s normal for first fall / winter and their first one only.

Yes. Sounds like molt has led to a stop in laying for the year. I don't get any eggs from my flock once they shut down for the year.

Only thing to keep an eye on is if after the birds feather back in, and patches of feathers start to disappear from backs. In that case then you're looking at a feather picking situation.

Yes. Sounds like molt has led to a stop in laying for the year. I don't get any eggs from my flock once they shut down for the year.

Only thing to keep an eye on is if after the birds feather back in, and patches of feathers start to disappear from backs. In that case then you're looking at a feather picking situation.
K. Thanks. I just didn’t know that molt and whether would shut everyone of them down. Sounds like we’re all good. The other good news is they are all very pretty right now. HAhahah. Been looking at those patches for a long time. Since probably last spring. I don’t know when they are putting each other because it’s not at night and it’s not in the run it’s not in the yard. I guess maybe at midnight. Once they all melted I guess it focused on themselves rather than each other because now they all look like spring chickens

Back
Top Bottom