Okay.. so here i go..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davecash, Sep 24, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    i traded out a banty roo for a banty hen.. i put the hen in wth 2 pairs of other banties.. did i make a mistake? should have i put her in a roo of the same breed?

Alright, dont gripe me out, but i just dont want them to kill her, the rooster looks like hes bout to sprint, he flaps his wings and claws down, throwing the bedding as if hes bout to take off, then he charges the new hen.. will they get over this? it aint as bad as my comets and the polish, will they kill her, or will they get used to her.. they didnt let her on the roosts tonight.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I would keep her out and let them together when you can watch for a bit. She is probably scared. See, thats why i am afraid to send my rooster to the farm.....I dont want him to feel scared and alone [​IMG]

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes separate her, the poor love, this is why I always suggest buying a pair of newbies at each time so they wont feel so ganged up on, and can comfort each other in their own way.

4. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    i dont want them to kill her. do you think they will? i have school so i cant watch em twenty four seven, nor will my papa. im hopimng they will eventually get used to each other.

5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    She may not..................................my silkie is going to have to spend the rest of her life in a 12x2 pen with her blue silkie friend.

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Are you saying you did not quarantine her????

[​IMG]
    You should always quarantine a new chicken away from any other birds for at least a month before introducing to your flock.

You need to take her out...they can and might kill her if they are attacking her now. Hens are worse about this than a rooster.
    To introduce them, they should be in a pen next to each other, so they can get used to each other without being able to get to each other for awhile. Times are different for each situation.

Jean

7. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    Well crap.. i will just see what happens tomorrow morning.. i might be gettin her a black old english roo.. since i traded an old english roo for her.. haha

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think you have too many Roosters already. Poor girls [​IMG] I read on here you should have about 5 to 10 girls for one roo.

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Take her out and let them meet her gently through the wire,. or even better, get her a new girl friend!

10. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    "...should have i put her in a roo of the same breed?..."

Chickens seem incabable of poultry racism. Mixed flocks get along perfectly fine.

"...Alright, dont gripe me out, but i just dont want them to kill her..."

Sounds to me like he's hitting on her. Are you describing a stutter-step sort of thing where he lowers his wing and runs sideways towards her? If so, then it's a chicken come-on line.

"...i dont want them to kill her..."

Don't worry - chicken on chicken murder is also rare (though not entirely unknown). The advice to introduce them for a couple days through a crate is quite good though.

RPH: I agree in principle regarding quarentining. It isn't always practicle though if one has limited space or time.

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by