Okay, so I am going to sound like a dummy about goats... Now with PICS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by momma's chickens, Jun 24, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I really researched info on goats before I went and got my babies. I checked out books from the library and researched the web. I also read all the goat threads on here.

When I went to pick up my babies, and it was a long drive, I noticed they had little stubs of horns. The lady I bought them from told me that they had been disbudded, but now I am not so sure. I don't mean to call her a fibber or anything.

The little doe's horns are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long and the wether horns are about an inch long. I am not sure if this is normal horn length for dwarf nigerians or if perhaps she did disbud and they grew back. There is no marking on the head by the horn to show me that the procedure was done. The goats are were born on April 4 and 5th. That makes them about 11 weeks old.

I am wondering now if I can use the elastric banding method I have been reading about on the net or if I should let them grow. They are pet goats only.

Anybody have any comments on this????

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I've had a number of pet goats, most came with horns and it never was an issue. In fact, makes them easier to catch. We use electric tape for most of our fencing, but put them in combo-panel corral in winter. Had a few of them sticking heads through, but amazingly, all have learned how to turn their heads now to get back out !

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If it is not done properly they can grow in. I have one doe with one horn stump. It is not pretty. She has knocked it and caused it to bleed many times. The other side has a piece that grows too and she breaks it often. She was one the people I bought her from used to "learn how" on. They get a failing grade!

Are you sure she said they were disbudded? It sounds to me like they were not or either not done properly.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    There will still be small "bumps" from disbudding. But, from what I have seen in my friend's Nigerians is that the bumps after disbudding are white or light colored, while the original "horn" tissue was darker(black/greyish).

If she raises Nigerians, more than likely she disbuds everything. At least the breeders I know do. To show Nigerians, or to sell them to people who want to show them, they need to be disbudded or naturally polled.

I think you are just seeing the "bumps" after disbudding. They "shouldn't" grow anymore from that point. If you notice the "bumps" growing you need to call her back up and let her know. More than likely she would be willing to redo the job.

Just keep a close eye on them and see if they grow at all. An inch sounds a bit big for the whether, but sometimes breeders wait and disbud late which I notice leaves bigger "bumps".

-Kim

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Are they solid horns or sort of paper type and hollow? It sounds like maybe she didnt do a good job of it and they need to be redone. Bucks and wethers are the hardest and will scur ...my buck has scurs and he just breaks them off. they curl and are thin. If they havent been done they need to be done soon and you can even get a vet to check and see if they need to be redone. Yes you can band them but it is painful for a while and when and if they bump them it hurts like the dickens. Some prefer this method I dont. Disbudding them is so much easier. Get them checked soon. or a vet will have to do it.

6. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    If they are conical shaped and symetrical little horns then they probably were never disbudded in the first place. If they are odd, disfigured horn scraps, then the were done improperly and will grow into ugly scurs. If you just see a bald spot on the head with skin growing over it, then that's probably just how they should look at this age. If they have real horns, or scurs, make up your mind right now whether you want horned goats or not. Let the vet look at them. They can be removed surgically if they are small enough. The rubber band method will work if you do it right, but it's painful and is easily botched. If you wait much longer it will be very difficult to remove them. My 3 wethers were disbudded improperly, I didn't do anything about it, and they all have nasty scurs now.

7. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Hi and thanks everybody. I contacted the seller today and she said she did in fact disbud them but she thinks she did not do it long enough. I guess that means it is scurs then. She said she disbudded at a couple of weeks old, the does have not gotten any bigger and if that is the size they are going to be then I am fine with that. The wether may be different story although he is a love. I will call the vet tomorrow.

I think I will attach pics so you can tell me what you think?

8. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Okay here is the wether and he is 11 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the doeling....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her little horns are very tiny.

Thanks again!!!

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Have the vet check both of them while he/she is at it. The whether looks like he needs to be re-done, if you want them disbudded.

I do not mean to sound rude or negative, but I think the breeder should have realized they needed to be redone much earlier than now and went ahead and done it right the second time. Did you pay very much for the goats? Did you pay extra because they were suppose to be disbudded? I guess it just urks me to think that she "knew" about the whether's horns still growing, but she let them grow anyway. If she had known about it, she could have redone the job right while the kid was still young.

I hope that the vet gives you good news.

-Kim

10. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    It doesn't look to me like the wether's was done at all.. Usually if its done improperly then you'll get a growth that looks more like a withered horn.. Those look like full healthy horns.. Or the beginnings anyway since he's still young.. The doeling's were either also not done or were done very badly.. It makes me really angry when somebody breeds and raises an animal and then lies to their sellers or pawns bad animals off on unsuspecting newbies.. Not saying yours are bad.. They sound like very sweet goats.. But I would have the vet check them for CAE also.. Who knows what else she told you falsely or didn't tell you at all..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by