okay..so i baked the egg shells to give to the hens..but..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    then i was thinking..[​IMG]..will these give them the idea to start eating the eggs in the nest?..and also..how do you give the shells to them?..crumbled up and in a seperate feeder?..*sigh*..theres alot to know in this chicken farming stuff...[​IMG]..thanks, Wendy

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    If you bake them and crumble them up then the chickens are much less likely to associate them with whole eggs. The would happily eat the plain unbaked shells, but that 's just asking for trouble. I usually give them the baked shells crumbled up in something. I've even been know to give them scrambled eggs with the shells mixed in. As long as it doesn't look like a whole egg you should be good.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I've been giving my girls unbaked eggshells for 2 years now and have had no problems. I just let them dry out for a couple of days and put them in my mini chopper and then add them to their feeder.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay, thanks guys!...so the key is to mix them in something?....thanks!..[​IMG]..Wendy

5. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I microwave mine for 1 minute, crush them up and throw them out on the ground. Within a couple of days they are all gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by