1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay so im buying an incubator :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZoeS95423, May 16, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, So I am getting a LG incubator, and I have a few questions

Its still air, is that okay?
    And how often do I need to rotate duck eggs?
    I would also like to know everything else that I should know for hatching duck eggs.

2. D&S Farms

D&S Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    phenix city, alabama
    a forced air is better.

3. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I have the still air right now, and I find that it works fine. I'm not doing HUGE hatches, about 30 max. I try to turn my eggs atleast 3 times a day for chickens. If I remember the ducks you have to turn them once or twice more

4. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, So I have a question... What are the " moisture rings" in an incubator? It tells me to fill them but what are they?? There are all these little dots on the bottom but I dont under stand how I would fill them with Water.... any body know?

5. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    for the humidity i just put in a bowl of water. And towards the end up the incubation on lock down, i put in a wet sponge to up the humisity

6. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    okay, thanks that makes since, IDk why I never thought of that.... Also does any body "cool" their eggs, my dad was telling me when he was young and he incubated he cooled his eggs for like ten minutes a day.

7. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    ?

8. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    i dont know the answer to your question, but my last hatch was with an lg still air and temps would drop when i turned them.... not sure if this was what he was talking about.
    i think its better to keep everything stable in the incubator unless the temperature spikes or something and you have to open it for a little while

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    With duck eggs you're supposed to let them cool off for about 10-15 mins daily & then mist them with warm or room temp water. It simulates the mom taking a break & coming back to the nest after a little swim. Here's the sticky for incubating waterfowl: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013 Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by