Okay, so maybe I have ONE chicken that's not stupid.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Oct 3, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lilith has landed at the very bottom of the pecking order. My two top hens have turned bossy since they started laying and it doesn't matter how many nest boxes I add, they are determined that Lilith is not going to lay in any of them.
    Lilith has somehow figured out her laying plan. She waits till the evening when I put out treats in the backyard. She grabs a bite or two then while everyone's busy eating the treats, she slowly slips off to the coop to lay her egg. She looks over her shoulder as she's walking - I SWEAR, I saw her do it!
    So I officially have one smart chicken. The rest are still a few bricks short of a full load.

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]

That's so cute...glad she has a plan!
    ~Rebecca

3. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    What a smart girl Lilith is!

If it's any comfort to you, the girl in my flock who is at the bottom is my best layer. They may be able to pick on her at the food dish or make her take the least desirable spot on the roost, but when it comes to the nest box, Ruthie has developed quite a puff and a growl. Good for Lilith for figuring out what works for her!

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] That's funny!
    It may just be that she's thinking..."oh I want some more treats so badly!" ***looks back*** then thinks, "But I should really lay my eggs before they come back..." ***then walks away to lay some eggs*** LOL [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I forgot to mention the other way she's smart. She knows that I'm gonna feel guilty about her having to leave the treats just so she can lay an egg; so I always save some for her when she returns from her mission.

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I forgot to mention the other way she's smart. She knows that I'm gonna feel guilty about her having to leave the treats just so she can lay an egg; so I always save some for her when she returns from her mission.

LOL [​IMG]
    That's nice of you! [​IMG]

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    That IS smart![​IMG]
    And I am glad the bullies dont get all the treats,lol.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are a weel trained human. Congrats! [​IMG]

9. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    With a name like Lilith, what did you expect? Of course she's a smart cookie. [​IMG]

10. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by