Okay, so maybe I have ONE chicken that's not stupid.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Lilith has landed at the very bottom of the pecking order. My two top hens have turned bossy since they started laying and it doesn't matter how many nest boxes I add, they are determined that Lilith is not going to lay in any of them.
Lilith has somehow figured out her laying plan. She waits till the evening when I put out treats in the backyard. She grabs a bite or two then while everyone's busy eating the treats, she slowly slips off to the coop to lay her egg. She looks over her shoulder as she's walking - I SWEAR, I saw her do it!
So I officially have one smart chicken. The rest are still a few bricks short of a full load.

yuckyuck.gif

That's so cute...glad she has a plan!
~Rebecca

What a smart girl Lilith is!

If it's any comfort to you, the girl in my flock who is at the bottom is my best layer. They may be able to pick on her at the food dish or make her take the least desirable spot on the roost, but when it comes to the nest box, Ruthie has developed quite a puff and a growl. Good for Lilith for figuring out what works for her!

LOL
gig.gif
lau.gif
That's funny!
It may just be that she's thinking..."oh I want some more treats so badly!" ***looks back*** then thinks, "But I should really lay my eggs before they come back..." ***then walks away to lay some eggs*** LOL
gig.gif

Quote:
I forgot to mention the other way she's smart. She knows that I'm gonna feel guilty about her having to leave the treats just so she can lay an egg; so I always save some for her when she returns from her mission.

Quote:
I forgot to mention the other way she's smart. She knows that I'm gonna feel guilty about her having to leave the treats just so she can lay an egg; so I always save some for her when she returns from her mission.

LOL
yuckyuck.gif

That's nice of you!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom