Okay so maybe I'm a paranoid new mommy but is my chick okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemommy, May 31, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Two of my chicks, they are RIR's, have loose stools, and one of them is laying down in the bottom of the brooder, and kicking it's legs back behind him...almost like it's trying to gather the pine shavings up around it in the form of a nest. Then while he's doing that the other ones peck on him a little. It doesn't act like it's sick, just like it wants to sleep and make a comfortable spot. I'm worried about it though, b/c the bottom of the brooder is slippery plastic, and I'm afraid that he'll hurt his feet...that paranoia comes after reading some posts on here about the lame chicks and splayed foot condition. Am I worrying too much? Are these things normal?

2. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    what age?
    what feed ?
    what temp of brooder?
    what is in the water?

3. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    what age?
    what feed ?
    what temp of brooder?
    what is in the water?

I think they are about a week and a half to two weeks old-got them at a feed store
    Medicated chick starter
    I don't know the temp...the guy at the feed store wasnt all that helpful, and I didnt know that I needed a thermometer until I found this website.
    nothing is in the water now...I change it about 2-3 times a day b/c they are constantly pooping in it and getting shavings in it. Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It sounds like it may be hot and it is sunning itself. They will lay on their sides and kick whatever is on the ground up around their back. They also will rub the head around. At two weeks the water jars do get messy usually from them kicking stuff in. If you place it on a piece of wood or even two bricks, anything to elevate it a bit so it is level with the back of the chicks it will help a lot. You can do the samwith the food. They will continually kick bedding into the food and then will not be able to eat.

At two weeks they will be fine between 75 and 80 degrees. I use a 75 watt bulb raised about 16-19 inches off the floor of the brooder. You can drop it to a 60 watt bulb in about 8=10 days.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    ok thanks for the reply! That is EXACTLY what he was doing! I just didnt know how to describe it. He was kicking the shavings up on his back and rubbing his head on the bottom of the brooder...he didn't do it again after that. They have been doing well today....we left this morning to bottle feed some calves that a friend of ours has, and help my parents put up a pool, and when we came back there were NO shavings in the water! Weird!! And they are sitting on top of their feeder ^_^ I'm going to go out onto the property here in a little bit and get them a branch so that they can begin roosting. This morning they decided that they were going to fly to the top of the sterilite box we had them in. So we put them in a rabbit cage that we had and weren't using [​IMG] They really are quirky little things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by