Okay so now I am confused....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    For the longest time I thought I had 2 red breasted or 1 red breasted and 1 Blue Faced button quail pair (I could never tell at the time the difference in the males)
    Well then I found online something called "Darth Vader" (golden red breasted) Button Quail that looks like my pair (before the male flew the coop)
    anyways here is the site :
    http://www.zebrafinch.com/newbuttonquail/RedBreasted.html

Here is the Darth Vader trio on that site

[​IMG]

Here is the Red Breasted Female

[​IMG]

And then here is my pair

[​IMG]

So what do I really have so I can identify the baby from my pair correctly and the 3 that I got out of hatching eggs from the same place I got my pair from!?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You have a red breasted hen and black faced red breasted male.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:So that website is not correct?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    To answer the question: the website you ask about is very outdated and new information is out about...in fact if you look at back pages it says Coturnix chinesis which is incorrect. These little birds are misunderstood. Breeders are constantly working on bettering the colors to breed true and Golden Red breasted is false....they are black face red breasteds. This is one of a topic going subjects and I am sorry to say that you can even call them Blue face red breasteds since blue face IS in the genes. The normal red breasted male looks like this:

[​IMG]

A normal red breasted hen looks like this:

[​IMG]

And then a black face red breasted male (on left) cinnamon red breasted hen on right.

[​IMG]

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Okay so I had a Black Face Red Breasted and a Red Breasted, How did I get a Cinnamon out of that combination? [​IMG]
    Qauil are so confusing!! lol

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The hen is probably carrying cinnamon. You see the last photo I showed...they bonded at day one of hatch and are 2 years old...that's an example of what your hen is carrying from past generations. Sometimes you don't have enough like colors or it's love at first sight and you can't just separate them [​IMG]

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I figured that out when my male flew away and I brought my female in so she something wouldnt get her threw the wire like when I lost my Silver female (you were the one who told me I had 2 females that were suppose to be males when I first got them!)
    I figured it wouldnt hurt to try an put her with 3 babies I hatched out a day earlier and she acted like they were her's an let them lay under her! She talked to them an they fallowed her around like momma! she even stopped laying eggs the day after I put her in with them! Its been a week an no eggs! I wanted to put her in with her own baby that is now almost 2 days old but her baby is WAY smaller then the 3 I hatched last week from hatching eggs the guy I got my pair from gave me.
    the 2 day old's egg was smaller then the 3 one week old's eggs.
    Will she stay tiny or catch up to the size she should be?

8. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    Sorry for the bump but can you help me what do I have?. As I'm trying to sell eggs as darth vader

Hoping I'm correct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both cocksbut I don't know which is correct lol the blacker face I'm hoping

Are my hens right

9. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    looks to me like 3 red breasted females, 1 red breasted male and 1 black faced red breasted male (all 3 pictured above in Steller's comment!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by