Okay, so the girls are a month old...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryCentinel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    ...and looking pretty good so far!

We are having a ball with them.

I am planning to move them outside the week before Christmas, they will be 6 weeks old then.

It is pretty cold here, we are in the Coeur d'Alene Idaho area, think Spokane WA if you are unclear where CDA is.

I gather supplemental heating is not necessary unless the temp drops considerably, like single digits or below zero F.

I am asking again just so I don't go off half cocked and freeze my girls... ;-)

I can see how they stay warm, they do generate some collective heat to be sure.

Their coop is pretty solid and tight too...

If anyone has concerns or input please advise, thx.

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Is there a way you can get them used to it gradually like bring them out in day and bring in at night for a while?

3. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Unless they are fully feathered, I would not put them out yet

4. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I would wait until 8 weeks minimum, unless they are shut up in a coop with heat.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

As sassafras suggested, make sure there is some kind of transition involved (which you may have already planned for). So if they're used to house temps without a lamp now (say around 70), and they're going out to 40 degree temps, you'll need to find a way to transition them a bit, even if they're feathered out. That might involve a garage, or offering a lamp with a small wattage bulb for a week or two...whatever works best for you.

If there's a lamp involved, they could go out to the coop now if it's just them...you could start transitioning them now. They don't need to be feathered out as long as there's still an area of heat available to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by