Okay, so what do I do w/these eggs now?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FluffyChic, May 17, 2010.

1. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    I have hen, BO, that has gone broody. Our eggs are not fertilized, no Roo-except a chick roo, and I let her sit on them for the past two days....just to see if she would sit. Well, I had to push her off them this morning and there were 11 eggs under her!!!!! So, I wish they were fertile as that would be really cool. Anyway, do I just toss those 11 eggs? They are not fertile, but is there something wrong w/eating them if she's been sitting on them for 2 days? First experience w/ a broody! TIA! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it's only two days, they should still be OK... I wouldn't go much more than that.

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    A little tip. When My hen was setting I mark the original egg with an X and daily pull out the new ones, if any.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting question. They are probably safe to eat if you cook them well, but there is something that just feels wrong about eating eggs that have been at a perfect temperature for bacterial development for two days. As a minimum, I'd suggest you break them into bowls separately and sniff the before you use them. Personally, I wouldn't, but I don't have a strong need for eggs. I have plenty.

It sounds like you may be considering giving her fertile eggs to hatch? If so, you might want to read this thread. It talks about whether or not to isolate a broody, but also gives some tips for things you should do if you do or do not not isolate her.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Good luck!!!

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    11 eggs? that's one more than you need for ten egg pound cake!
    I leave my eggs out for up to week on the counter. They bake up better that way.
    Europe does not refrigerate their eggs at all.

look in the index for recipes and search for 10 egg pound cake.
    you will be glad you did. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I leave my eggs out on the counter too, but she's wondering about these eggs because they've been under the hen for two days.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I tend to leave my eggs on the counter as well if they're going to be used within a week or so. But, a hen sat on these for two days, and I know I can often see veining if I candle on day 3.... sooo....I dont think I could eat them.

8. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    I think I'll just boil them and feed them back to the chickens and dogs. They'll like the special treat, better safe than sorry. I feel kinda weird about eating them after them sitting under the hen for a couple days. I actually let them set at room temp too, but the ones under the hen are alot warmer. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by